1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the velocity of the wind

1. May 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An airplane travels N40∘E at an airspeed of 1000km/h. Measurement on the ground shows that the plane is travelling N45∘E at a speed of 1050 km/h. Calculate the velocity of the wind.

2. Relevant equations

Vg = Va + Vw

3. The attempt at a solution

so i know we're suppose to use the formula Vg = Va + Vw

we know Vg is 1050km/h N45∘E
    and Va is 1000km/h N40∘E
    we don't know Vw, so we subtract it to the other side of the equation and we have a subtraction of vectors

I drew my vector diagram, and applied to cos law to get the veloctiy of the wind,

a= sqrt[1050^2 + 1000^2 -2(1000)(1050)cos∘]
    and got 102.4 km/h as my wind velocity,

can someone confirm if i'm right? :s

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2012 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

A good way that you can confirm the answer yourself is to use component-wise subtraction, and convert that back into polar coordinates. Are you familiar with converting back and forth between polar and rectangular coordinates?

4. May 21, 2012 #3
    no.... :l

5. May 21, 2012 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Here is a referenc for you then (partway down this page):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polar_coordinate_system

Vectors are usually added and subtracted in rectangular coordinates, so a natural way to do your problem is to convert the vectors you are given into their x and y components in rectangular coordinates, do the subtraction, and then convert the answer back into the polar notation of the problem.

6. May 21, 2012 #5
    I worked it out. It is, indeed, 102.425km/h -13° from the positive x axis, or using your notation South 76.69° East.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook