1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the volume of a solid when the solid is a region rotated around a line

1. Apr 14, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the volume of the solid obtained by rotating the region bounded by the given curves about the specified axis.

y = x^(6), y = 1 about y = 2

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    So i drew a picture and found the region to be fin shaped from 0 to 1 on both the x and y axis. I then rotated it around y=2 to get a cylinder with a missing inside with flat sides and an outside that is curved. I believe the thickness of these cylinders is delta y, so i'm putting everything in terms of y. I then find the radius to be 2-y, since the center of the cylinder is at y=2 and at y=0 the radius is 2, at y=1 it is 1. So that gives me a circumference of 2pi(2-y). Next I find the height, which my picture shows as the x values when x=y^(1/6), so my h=y^(1/6). I am now able to set up my integral so that 0int1 2pi(2-y)y^(1/6)dy. When I evaluate this, I come up 2pi(12/7-6/13) which is the wrong answer. Can someone please tell me where I went wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2009 #2
    I found where I made my mistake :) So no need to help me anymore. Thanks anyways.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook