Finding the volume of a solid.

In summary: Note that the lower limit of x is -1 because that is the left endpoint of the -half- of the domain of the curve y = +√(1-x^2).In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the volume of a solid in the first octant bounded by the coordinate planes and two given planes. The person is seeking help with determining the bounds of integration, and struggling with changing to spherical and cylindrical coordinates. A suggestion is made to draw a picture to visualize the region of integration, and a specific problem with cylindrical to Cartesian conversion is discussed. The expert advises to think about the volume and draw the solid to determine the bounds, and provides a detailed explanation for finding the correct bounds for the given problem.
tarmon.gaidon

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the solid in the first octant bounded by the coordinate planes and the plane 2x+y-4=0 and 8x-4z=0.

This is a problem for a practice exam for my calculus course and I just need some help getting started.

I have had a lot of trouble in this course trying to figure what the bounds of my integration should be so any pointers would be appreciated!

P.S. I have also had a lot of trouble reversing the oder of integration and changing to spherical and cylindrical coordinates. Mainly because I have trouble figuring out how to change the bounds.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
tarmon.gaidon said:

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the solid in the first octant bounded by the coordinate planes and the plane 2x+y-4=0 and 8x-4z=0.

This is a problem for a practice exam for my calculus course and I just need some help getting started.

I have had a lot of trouble in this course trying to figure what the bounds of my integration should be so any pointers would be appreciated!
This is not surprising, since for many problems of this kind, finding the bounds of integration is the hardest part.

Have you drawn a picture of the solid? Drawing a picture should give you a good idea of what the region of integration looks like, and should help you get the limits of integration.
tarmon.gaidon said:
P.S. I have also had a lot of trouble reversing the oder of integration and changing to spherical and cylindrical coordinates. Mainly because I have trouble figuring out how to change the bounds.

i wouldn't be using spherical or cylindrical, but would have a think about the volume - and try and draw it... what's you attempts at you bounds?

Hey Mark,

Thanks for the suggestion, I see what you are saying but let me ask this.

I have a problem here where I needed to change a triple integral from cylindrical coordinates to Cartesian. I have attached an image of the problem and the solution. When I went to solve it I sketched the solid and then attempted to write the bounds of each variable. I had come to the conclusion that y should be from [tex]\sqrt{1-x^2}[/tex] to 1 which is close but not quite right. How would I come to the conclusion they made instead of what I did?

Attachments

• untitled.PNG
    untitled.PNG
    15.4 KB · Views: 469
Wow, that image would not help me learn ANYTHING!
The limits for "r" and theta will help you determine the limits for x and y.
Since theta only ranges from 0 to π and r ranges from 0 to 1, it is a SEMIcircle of radius one (the top half, actually). To integrate the top of the unit circle "dydx"...

The upper limit for a vertical representative rectangle will range from y = 0 (the x-axis) to the curve y = +√(1-x^2). (...I included the "+" to emphasize that it's the top half).

Then x ranges from -1 to 1.

1. How do you calculate the volume of a solid?

To calculate the volume of a solid, you can use the formula V = l x w x h, where l is the length, w is the width, and h is the height of the solid. Alternatively, you can also use the formula V = Bh, where B is the base area and h is the height of the solid.

2. What units are used to measure volume?

The most common unit used to measure volume is cubic units, such as cubic centimeters (cm3) or cubic meters (m3). However, you can also use other units such as liters (L) or gallons (gal) depending on the type of solid you are measuring.

3. Can the volume of a solid be negative?

No, the volume of a solid cannot be negative. Volume is a measure of space, and space cannot have a negative value. If you get a negative value when calculating the volume, it is most likely due to a mistake in your calculations.

4. How does the shape of a solid affect its volume?

The shape of a solid can greatly affect its volume. For example, a solid with a larger base and shorter height will have a greater volume than a solid with a smaller base and taller height, even if they have the same length and width. Therefore, it is important to consider the shape of a solid when calculating its volume.

5. Can the volume of a solid change?

Yes, the volume of a solid can change depending on factors such as temperature, pressure, or physical manipulation. For example, if you heat up a solid, it may expand and therefore have a larger volume. However, the volume of a solid is typically constant unless there are external factors affecting it.