Finding the Volume of Methane at the Given Conditions

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
ahaanomegas
Messages
28
Reaction score
0
Long title, I know! :-p

Homework Statement



The heat of combustion of methane ([itex]\text{CH}_4[/itex]) is [itex]890.4 \ \text{kJ/mol}[/itex] and the heat of capacity of [itex]\text{H}_2\text{O}[/itex] is [itex]75.2 \ \text{J}/\text{mol}\cdot\text{K}[/itex] and that the heat capacity of [itex]\text{H}_2\text{O}[/itex] is [itex]37.7 \ \text{J}/\text{mol}\cdot\text{K}[/itex], calculate the heat of fusion of water at [itex]-10 \ { }^{\circ}\text{C}[/itex].

Homework Equations



I really don't know. I'm truly confused.

The Attempt at a Solution



From the given information, I was thinking of finding the mass of methane, but then I would need the density of methane, which was never mentioned in my textbook. So I highly doubt my thoughts are even on the right track.

Any start/hint to a solution would be highly helpful and appreciated!
Thanks in advance,
~ Ahaan.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This problem should be restated. As it is stated, it does not make sense. You have stated any conditions.
 
Ah. Now I don't feel so guilty for not getting it. It was a challenge problem in my textbook, so I didn't make it. Sorry about that and thanks! End of thread.