1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the Volume of Methane at the Given Conditions

1. Jun 14, 2012 #1
    Long title, I know! :tongue:

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The heat of combustion of methane ([itex]\text{CH}_4[/itex]) is [itex]890.4 \ \text{kJ/mol}[/itex] and the heat of capacity of [itex]\text{H}_2\text{O}[/itex] is [itex]75.2 \ \text{J}/\text{mol}\cdot\text{K}[/itex] and that the heat capacity of [itex]\text{H}_2\text{O}[/itex] is [itex]37.7 \ \text{J}/\text{mol}\cdot\text{K}[/itex], calculate the heat of fusion of water at [itex]-10 \ { }^{\circ}\text{C}[/itex].

2. Relevant equations

I really don't know. I'm truly confused.

3. The attempt at a solution

From the given information, I was thinking of finding the mass of methane, but then I would need the density of methane, which was never mentioned in my textbook. So I highly doubt my thoughts are even on the right track.

Any start/hint to a solution would be highly helpful and appreciated!
    Thanks in advance,
    ~ Ahaan.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2012 #2
    This problem should be restated. As it is stated, it does not make sense. You have stated any conditions.

4. Jun 15, 2012 #3
    Ah. Now I don't feel so guilty for not getting it. It was a challenge problem in my textbook, so I didn't make it. Sorry about that and thanks! End of thread.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook