Finding the Weight of a Rope and Bucket

  • Thread starter Thread starter glennpagano
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Rope Weight
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 1K views
glennpagano
Messages
17
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A rope is 5 meters long and hangs over the edge of a well. It has a bucket of water weighted 20 kilograms attached to one end. For Simplicity, use g=10N/kg

Suppose the rope has a uniform density of [tex]\rho[/tex] = 1kg/m

Homework Equations



W=[tex]\int[/tex] F(x)xdx


The Attempt at a Solution



I could not figure out what the force would be I would think it would be (Mrope+Mbucket)g
Mass of the rope would be ([tex]\rho[/tex])(v)=Mrope
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have a rho: ρ and an integral: ∫ :wink:)

Does the question ask for the work done in raising the bucket 5 m ?

If so, remember that the rope doesn't rise 5 m … it stops as it gets to the top.

Use work done = change in PE. :wink:
 
I know I can do change in PE but this is for my calculus and my teacher wants me to use calculus I did some more work and found this so far. F(y)=(Mrope+Mbucket) Mrope=[tex]\rho[/tex]v. Now I have to find change in y for that I got (5-y) Now my equation for work is the integral from 0 to 5 of ([tex]\rho[/tex]y+20)(5-y)