1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the work done by a gas under quasi-static, isothermal expansion

1. Mar 27, 2010 #1
    1. So, an ideal gas is initially at 293K and 200kPa, and has a volume of .004m3
    It undergoes a quasi-static, isotheral expansion until its pressure is reduced to 100kPa
    What is the Work done by the gas

2.I know that for isothermal conditions W=nRTln(Pf/Pi)

3. my first attempt was making n=1 and Pf=200kPa and Pi=100kPa
    i got W to be 1685w.

My first problem with this is that I don't actually know what n is, and i'm not even sure what Pi and Pf are, can't find it in my lecture notes anywhere.

My next step was to isntead of guessing n=1, make PV=nRt because I have P and V, but i'm not sure which P to use.

I know this dosen't seem like a difficult problem, but i won't be getting the answers until next month, so any guidance will be appreciated
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2010 #2

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Both P and V change during the expansion. You don't know the final volume, but you do know the initial volume. So, use the initial pressure as well.
  4. Mar 28, 2010 #3

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It should be Pi/Pf.

dW = PdV. If you substitute P = nRT/V (where T is constant since it is isothermal) you get:

[tex]\int_{V_i}^{V_f} PdV = nRT\int_{V_i}^{V_f} dV/V = nRT\ln (\frac{V_f}{V_i})[/tex]

Since, by the ideal gas law, PiVi/Ti = PfVf/Tf, Vf/Vi = Pi/Pf (where Ti and Tf are equal)

You have to find n. Use the ideal gas law:

You know Pi, Vi and Ti so you can find n. n does not change.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook