Finding the work done to remove a dielectric slab.

In summary, a 6.8-nF parallel plate capacitor with a sheet of Mylar (κ = 3.1) is initially charged to 160 V and then disconnected. To remove the Mylar sheet completely, work needs to be done. Using the formula U = Uo/k, where Uo is the initial energy and k is the dielectric constant, the final energy is calculated to be k(1/2)CoVo^2. This means that the energy stored in the dielectric will end up back in the capacitor. Therefore, the correct formula for work is W = U - Uo, where W is the work done, U is the final energy, and Uo is the initial energy.
Cisneros778

Homework Statement

A 6.8-nF parallel plate capacitor with a sheet of Mylar (κ = 3.1) filling the space between the plates is charged to a potential difference of 160 V and is then disconnected. (The initial capacitance including the dielectric is 6.8 nF.)

(a) How much work is required to completely remove the sheet of Mylar from the space between the two plates?

Homework Equations

Uo = (.5)*Qo^2/Co
U = Uo/k
Work = U - Uo

The Attempt at a Solution

I solve for Qo using Co = Qo/Vo
Co*Vo = Qo

Uo = (.5) * (Co*Vo)^2/Co
this simplifies to
Uo = (.5) * Vo^2 *Co
Plugging in the values I get
Uo = (.5) * 160^2 * 6.8*10^-9
Uo = 8.7*10^-5
U = 2.81*10^-5
Work = (+ or -)5.896*10^-5 J

My answer is wrong when I enter it in the system. I'm not sure what to do from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
You may want to check your formula U = Uo/k. When the dielectric is pulled out, work will be done. Energy stored in the dielectric is going to end up back in the capacitor.

If Co is the initial capacitance, then the new capacitance without the dielectric will be Co/k. If the initial charge is Q = VoCo, then after the dielectric is removed the voltage will rise to V = kVo. If you plug the expressions for the new capacitance and new voltage into the energy expression you should find that E = k(1/2)CoVo2.

1. How is the work done to remove a dielectric slab calculated?

The work done to remove a dielectric slab is calculated by multiplying the potential difference between the plates of the capacitor by the charge on the plates.

2. What is the significance of finding the work done to remove a dielectric slab?

Finding the work done to remove a dielectric slab can help determine the amount of energy stored in a capacitor and the change in capacitance due to the presence of the dielectric.

3. Can the work done to remove a dielectric slab be negative?

Yes, the work done to remove a dielectric slab can be negative if the dielectric material has a lower dielectric constant than the surrounding material. This indicates that energy is actually released during the removal process.

4. How does the work done to remove a dielectric slab affect the capacitance of a capacitor?

The work done to remove a dielectric slab changes the electric field between the plates of a capacitor, which in turn affects the capacitance. As the work done increases, the capacitance also increases.

5. Can the work done to remove a dielectric slab be used to determine the dielectric constant of a material?

Yes, the work done to remove a dielectric slab can be used, along with other known values, to calculate the dielectric constant of a material. This can be helpful in identifying the type of material that was used as the dielectric.