1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the work done using force vectors in 3 dimensions

1. Mar 13, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the work done by a force acting in the direction 2i - 5j + k in moving a particle from (3, 3, 1) to (1, 2, 4).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I just found the displacement vector (2,1,-3) and did the dot product with the force vector.
    So my answer as an integer, was negative 4.
    Does that sound correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2013 #2

Curious3141

Homework Helper

The question is somewhat imprecise; the force doesn't just act in that vector direction, it is given by that vector. Force has direction and magnitude - if they only meant that vector to represent the direction, they need to state the magnitude separately.

You got a negative answer because you took the wrong direction for the displacement vector. What is displacement? Is it final minus initial position or vice versa?

4. Mar 13, 2013 #3
    oh yeah lol, its final minus initial
    so my answer should be positive 4 right?

5. Mar 13, 2013 #4

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Yes. Units would be nice, but if you weren't given any for the force and distance, what can you do?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted