Finding the Zero Point of Electric Field from a Dipole Configuration

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 13K views
czaitz
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
I'd like to check my thinking which is getting fuzzy:

Question: Two particles are fixed to an x axis: particle 1 of charge q1 = 2.91 x 10-8 C at x = 26.3 cm and particle 2 of charge q2 = -5.82q1 at x = 46.6 cm. At what coordinate on the x-axis is the electric field produced by the particles equal to zero?

I am thinking: q1=2.91E-8C and q2=-1.694E-7C . I found the net electric field by using Coulomb's law, which is .0013 N/C. Now I need to find where the net E field is zero, and I thought that if I set E=0 I could find the r where E=0 but I can't seem to figure out how to do that. I can't just substitute E to find r ...I know it's not that hard but I'm experiencing a block...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Your net electric field shouldn't be a constant, it should be a function of x (or r, but you're only considering the one direction). It should be the sum of two electric fields, one from q1, one from q2. Then set it equal to zero and solve for x.