1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding time average Poynting vector

1. Mar 7, 2009 #1
    Given E and H, obviously you can calculate Poynting vector (N=ExH), but then how do you find the time average of N (N')?

(I won't write all the question I'm trying to answer here but basically I'm trying the verify an equation, the says N' = 0.5* Re{ F x I* } where F and I are fields such that E= Re{F} and H=Re{H}. So obviously I can't use that equation. How else can I find N'?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2009 #2
    I memorized those things using B instead of H, but you can convert. Can you write the RMS values of the electric field and magnetic field? You will get the average of the poynting vector S (intensity, or energy per unit time per unit area) if you plug in the RMS values of E and B into any of these:

S = E B / mu0 = E^2 / mu0 c = c B^2 / mu0

4. Jan 3, 2011 #3
    Usually vector E and H are made up and constant (eg E0) multiplied by phase and time dependent parts. You must time average these non-constant parts of the equation. Often this comes down to time-averaging the square of sine/cosine, which gives a multiplicative factor of 0.5.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook