Finding time of how long the block travels (SHM)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 6K views
Vanessa Avila
Messages
94
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


A small block is attached to an ideal spring and is moving in SHM on a horizontal, frictionless surface. When the amplitude of the motion is 0.090 m , it takes the block 2.52 sto travel from x= 0.090 m to x= -0.090 m .

If the amplitude is doubled, to 0.180 m , how long does it take the block to travel from x= 0.180 m to x= -0.180 m ?

If the amplitude is doubled, to 0.180 m , how long does it take the block to travel from x= 0.090 m to x= -0.090 m ?

Homework Equations


x=Acos(ωt+Φ)

The Attempt at a Solution


[/B]
I assume that you will be doing the same thing for the second question as you do for part 1.

I tried to set up a ratio but I think i did it wrong:

0.090m/0.252s = 0.180/t
and got t = 0.504 s but that answer is wrong. I'm not sure what to do with the initial and final displacements.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Vanessa Avila said:

Homework Statement


A small block is attached to an ideal spring and is moving in SHM on a horizontal, frictionless surface. When the amplitude of the motion is 0.090 m , it takes the block 2.52 sto travel from x= 0.090 m to x= -0.090 m .

If the amplitude is doubled, to 0.180 m , how long does it take the block to travel from x= 0.180 m to x= -0.180 m ?

If the amplitude is doubled, to 0.180 m , how long does it take the block to travel from x= 0.090 m to x= -0.090 m ?

Homework Equations


x=Acos(ωt+Φ)

The Attempt at a Solution


[/B]
I assume that you will be doing the same thing for the second question as you do for part 1.

I tried to set up a ratio but I think i did it wrong:

0.090m/0.252s = 0.180/t
and got t = 0.504 s but that answer is wrong. I'm not sure what to do with the initial and final displacements.
How are length and time period of the pendulum related? It is not a linear relation.
 
cnh1995 said:
How are length and time period of the pendulum related? It is not a linear relation.
I found an alternative way to solve this. Do I solve for the period by multiply time by 2 and then finding ω?
 
Last edited:
cnh1995 said:
Oh, sorry! I read the question wrong.
I think you will need the sinusoidal equation for that. Forget about the pendulum..!
Okay! Thank you!