Finding velocity and acceleration in a vector via differentiation

In summary: So, you could have written your equation as r(t)= [sin t/t + 1] or r(t)= [sin t] + 1. Both of these would give the same result.Voko: ok, so that makes sense. Thanks for your help!
Philip Wong

Homework Statement

Find the velocity and acceleration of a particle with the given position function:

r(t)=<[itex]2cos t[/itex], 3t, [itex]2sin t/t+1[/itex]>

The Attempt at a Solution

v(t)=r'(t) dt= <-2sin t, 3, (2cos t/t+1) - (2sin t/(t+1)2)>

a(t)=v'(t) dt = <-2cos t, 0, (4sint t/(t+1)3-(2sint t/(t+1)-(4 cos t/(t+1)2>

therefore a(t) = <-2cos t, 0, 2/(t+1)[(2sint t/(t+1)2-sin t-(2 cos t/(t+1)>

First of all, is this right?
Secondly, can this be further simplify? If yes, can someone please show me how.
Lastly, I don't have a clue on how to solve this two vectors to give a single numerical answer. Or have I misunderstood the concepts, the answer show actually be presented as a vector instead of a single numerical answer?

Thanks in advance,
Phil

Physics news on Phys.org
Philip Wong said:
r(t)=<[itex]2cos t[/itex], 3t, [itex]2sin t/t+1[/itex]>

What does [itex]2sin t/t+1[/itex] really mean?

[tex]\frac {2sin t} {t+1}[/tex] or

[tex]2 sin \frac {t} {t+1}[/tex] or

[tex]\frac {2sin t} {t} +1[/tex]?

You can't get a numerical value, only a vector. You have to have a t value to plug into the functions you derived to get an exact vector with numerical components. The vector r(t) you start with gives position as a function of t, the derivative r'(t) gives the velocity vector as a function of t (velocity at any time t) and r''(t) gives the acceleration vector as a function of t...

If you had a function like r(t)=<2t,t,t> for example, you'd get r'(t)= <2,1,1> since the derivatives are all constant, but if the components of r(t) had non-constant derivatives then you have a non-constant velocity function like in your example.

Adkins Jr: I see what you meant now. thanks for your help!
voko: is the first one. sorry I'm not good using latex, I tried to have the equation type out using it. but somehow it didn't work

Your solution seems correct. Still, I would like to point out that even if you do not use LaTeX, you could write (sin t)/(t + 1). sin t/t + 1, in the usual convention, means [sin (t/t)] + 1 = [sin 1] + 1.

What is velocity and acceleration in a vector?

Velocity and acceleration in a vector refer to the rate of change of position and velocity, respectively, in a particular direction. In other words, it is the measurement of how fast and in what direction an object is moving.

Why is differentiation used to find velocity and acceleration in a vector?

Differentiation is used to find velocity and acceleration in a vector because it is a mathematical operation that calculates the rate of change of a function. In this case, the function represents the position of the object at a given time, and the derivative of this function gives us the velocity and acceleration.

What are the steps involved in finding velocity and acceleration in a vector via differentiation?

The steps involved in finding velocity and acceleration in a vector via differentiation are as follows:

1. Identify the position function of the object.
  2. Take the derivative of the position function to find the velocity function.
  3. Take the derivative of the velocity function to find the acceleration function.
  4. Substitute the given time value into the acceleration function to find the acceleration at that specific time.

What are some real-life applications of finding velocity and acceleration in a vector?

Finding velocity and acceleration in a vector is useful in many real-life applications, such as:

• In physics and engineering, to analyze the motion of objects and design structures.
  • In sports, to track the movement of athletes and improve their performance.
  • In navigation, to calculate the speed and direction of moving objects, such as ships and airplanes.
  • In economics, to study the growth and changes in markets and economies.

Can velocity and acceleration in a vector be negative?

Yes, velocity and acceleration in a vector can be negative. This indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the chosen coordinate system. For example, a negative velocity in the x-direction means the object is moving to the left, and a negative acceleration means the object is slowing down or changing direction towards the negative axis.