Finding velocity (having trouble interpreting the question

• Thread starter zx636r
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary: I know this answer is yahoo answers or something, but I refrained from just looking at the answer because I really want to understand what is going on.point O is the groundYou're shown a parabolic path/trajectory."O" is at ground level, or y = 0 describes a line "O" which you could regard as the "x-axis."A on its way up, where OA is 1/3Think "y = A."arbitrary point that is just deemed "A"?Call it an "arbitrary" altitude --- "A" for "arbitrary" or for "altitude" or for "ambiguous"
zx636r

Homework Statement

For an initial velocity of V0, what is the velocity of the ball as it passes the point A on its way up, where OA is 1/3 the maximum height.

V0 = 10m/s
t = 1s (2s total for the ball to come back down)
maximum height = 5m
initial displacement x0 = 0m

Homework Equations

Vf^2 = V0^2 + 2a(x - x0)

The Attempt at a Solution

6jO1eUG.png

I'm assuming point O is the ground. If point OA is 1/3 of the maximum height then, it is 5/3m. My confusion is what point A should be. Is it some arbitrary point that is just deemed "A"? The answers are in terms of vA (velocity as the ball passes through point A) = initial velocity times a constant. The other thing I can think of is that I am wrong for setting point O at 0. Am I supposed to go another "O" distance from OA to get to point A?

I know this answer is yahoo answers or something, but I refrained from just looking at the answer because I really want to understand what is going on.

Physics news on Phys.org
zx636r said:
point O is the ground
You're shown a parabolic path/trajectory. "O" is at ground level, or y = 0 describes a line "O" which you could regard as the "x-axis."
zx636r said:
A on its way up, where OA is 1/3
Think "y = A."
zx636r said:
arbitrary point that is just deemed "A"?
Call it an "arbitrary" altitude --- "A" for "arbitrary" or for "altitude" or for "ambiguous" statement.

zx636r said:

Homework Statement

For an initial velocity of V0, what is the velocity of the ball as it passes the point A on its way up, where OA is 1/3 the maximum height.

V0 = 10m/s
t = 1s (2s total for the ball to come back down)
maximum height = 5m
initial displacement x0 = 0m

Homework Equations

Vf^2 = V0^2 + 2a(x - x0)

The Attempt at a Solution

6jO1eUG.png

I'm assuming point O is the ground.
Correct.
If point OA is 1/3 of the maximum height then, it is 5/3m. My confusion is what point A should be. Is it some arbitrary point that is just deemed "A"?
No. According to the information you gave it is at x = 5/3 m.

Is this supposed to be solved algebraically, or is the answer supposed to be for the specific problem of v0 = 10m/s, max ht = 5 m?

The answers are in terms of vA (velocity as the ball passes through point A) = initial velocity times a constant. The other thing I can think of is that I am wrong for setting point O at 0. Am I supposed to go another "O" distance from OA to get to point A?
No. These are both correct interpretations.

If you are trying to do this algebraically, then you use your equation to determine the maximum height x in terms of v0. To do that, you need to select the gravitational value of the acceleration a.

Chet

1. What is velocity?

Velocity is a measure of the rate of change in an object's position over time. It is a vector quantity that includes both magnitude (speed) and direction.

2. How do you calculate velocity?

Velocity is calculated by dividing the change in position (displacement) by the change in time. The formula for velocity is v = Δx/Δt, where v is velocity, Δx is displacement, and Δt is change in time.

3. What is the difference between velocity and speed?

While velocity and speed are often used interchangeably, there is a key difference between the two. Velocity includes both magnitude and direction, while speed only refers to the magnitude of an object's motion.

4. Can velocity be negative?

Yes, velocity can be negative. This indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the chosen coordinate system. For example, if a car is moving west, its velocity will be negative if the chosen coordinate system is pointing east.

5. How is velocity represented?

Velocity is typically represented as a vector with an arrow pointing in the direction of motion. The length of the arrow represents the magnitude (speed) and the direction of the arrow represents the direction of motion.