Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding volumes of revolution using centroids

1. Mar 27, 2009 #1
    In my Cal II, we're discussing finding volumes of revolution using centroids, which we find using moments of x or y. Can someone explain to me what a moment is?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2009 #2
    Re: Moments

If you think of a function f(x) defined over the interval from a to b, then the moment of this function with respect to the origin is

M = int( x*f(x) dx) from a to b

4. Mar 29, 2009 #3

No, thanks though, I know how to solve for a moment over an interval, I'd like know what a moment actually is.

5. Mar 29, 2009 #4

A moment is just that quantity. If you know the definition, then you know what a moment is.

It has a physical interpretation also, but that is not likely be be a part of a calc class. If f(x) represents a force per unit length, then the moment represents the tendency of that force distribution to cause a rotation about the reference point.

6. Mar 29, 2009 #5

Moment is essentially a vector quantity that tells you about an objects ability to rotate about a point by some given force at some given distance. If you know what a torque is they're pretty much the same.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook