1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding W perp of inner product space

1. Nov 4, 2012 #1
    Consider P5(R) together with innner product < p ,q > = ∫p(x)q(x) dx. Find W-perp if W = {p(x) [itex]\in[/itex] P5(R) : p(0) = p'(0) = p''(0) = 0}

Attempt: Im having trouble with the condition. I always have trouble with these conditions. SO as of now I am going to let q(x) be the standard basis of P5(R). Now I don't know how to apply the condition to p(x).

After I do apply the condition I would take the inner product and have it set equal to 0. I should have a set of equations that I can solve in matrix form. This should produce some free variables from where I can obtain vectors for W-perp. So the concept is understood......I just can't seem to use the conditions appropriately.....

thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Write p(x) out as a polynomial. Your conditions are giving you information about the coefficients of the polynomial. What does p(0)=0 tell you?

4. Nov 4, 2012 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If ##p(x) = a + bx + cx^2 + dx^3 + ex^4 +fx^5##, set ##p(0)=0,p'(0)=0,p''(0)=0##. What does that tell you?

5. Nov 4, 2012 #4

Well I set it up the other way so my "a" was with ax5. Well after doing that it turns out that d=e=f= 0 in order for the polynomial to satisfy the condition.

Doing that it turns into p(x) = ax5+bx4+cx3

now I have to multiply this by q(x) and then integrate. Is there any substitution I could possibly do or am I just going to have to literally multiply it out and integrate each component.......if that's the case wouldn't that just be mean?

6. Nov 4, 2012 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It might seem a little more manageable if you notice a basis for W is {x^5,x^4,x^3}, so q(x) is in W-perp if it's perpendicular to each vector in the basis.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook