1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Orthogonal Vectors in Rn Problem

1. Jul 12, 2018 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given ##a\neq b## vectors of ##\mathbb{R}^n##. Determine ##c## which lies in the line segment ##[a,b]=\{a+t(b-a) ; t \in [0,1]\}##, such that ##c \perp (b-a)##. Conclude that for all ##x \in [a,b]##, with ##x\neq c## it is true that ##|c|<|x|##.

2. Relevant equations
    The first part of the question can be solved just using inner product definition.
    I don't know how the second part can be solved. But I think could be useful the Cauchy-Schawarz inequality ##|<x,y>| \leq |x||y|## or maybe the cosine rule...

3. The attempt at a solution
    If we suppose that ##c \in [a,b]## then we can write ##c## as:
    $$c=a+t_0 (b-a)$$
    where ##t_0 \in [0,1]##.
    By the fact that ##c \perp (b-a)## we have:
    $$<c,(b-a)> \quad = \quad0$$
    $$\Rightarrow \quad <a+t_0 (b-a),(b-a)> \quad = \quad 0$$
    $$\Rightarrow \quad <a,(b-a)>+<t_0 (b-a),(b-a)> \quad =\quad 0$$
    $$\Rightarrow \quad <a,(b-a)>+t_0 |b-a|^2=0$$
    $$\Rightarrow t_0 = - \frac{<a,(b-a)>}{|b-a|^2} $$

Then ##c## can be uniquely determined as ##c=a+t_0 (b-a)##, where ##t_0 = - \frac{<a,(b-a)>}{|b-a|^2}##.
    $$\ldots$$
    Now we need to prove that if we consider any other ##x \neq c## in the line segment ##[a,b]## then ##|c|<|x|##.

upload_2018-7-12_16-35-57.png

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2018 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You can show that ##x = c + k(b-a)## for some ##k \ne 0##. Then calculate ##\langle x,x \rangle##.

4. Jul 12, 2018 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The premise of the question is wrong: if ##a \neq b, \; a,b \in \mathbb{R}^n## it is not necessarily true that ##c \perp (b-a)## for some ##t \in [0,1].## For example, if ##a = (1,1)## and ##b = (2,1)##, we have ##b-a = (1,0)## and ##c = (1,1)+t(1,0) = (1+t,1)##. In order to have ##c \perp (b-a)## we need ##t = -1##, so the"perpendicular" ##c## is not on the segment from ##a## to ##b##; it is outside that segment, but still on the line through ##a## and ##b##.

However, if you allow values ##t < 0## and ##t > 1##---in other words, if you allow any ##t \in \mathbb{R}##---then the "minimization" result is true. The easiest way to get that is to minimize ##F(t) \equiv \| c \|^2##, which is a quadratic function of ##t##.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  5. Jul 12, 2018 #4
    Very well noticed Ray Vickson!
    Ok I can reformulate the question as follow:

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given ##a\neq b## vectors of ##\mathbb{R}^n##. Determine ##c## which lies in the line ##r## determined by in the line segment ##[a,b]=\{a+t(b-a) ; t \in [0,1]\}##, such that ##c \perp r##. Conclude that for all ##x \in r##, with ##x\neq c## it is true that ##|c|<|x|##.

The solution I wrote before can be used in the same way, i.e:
    $$c = a + t_0 (b-a) \quad where \quad t_0 = - \frac{<a,(b-a)>}{|b-a|^2}$$

But regarding the last part, i.e., to prove that ##|x|<|c|## for all ##x \in r##, I have no clue how can I minimize the function ##F(t) \equiv \| x \|^2 \equiv \| a+t(b-a) \|^2##.

6. Jul 12, 2018 #5
    In fact vela, we can write any ##x## in the line determined by the line segment ##[a,b]## as ##x = c + k(b-a)##.
    But follow your tip I stucked at the following red question mark:

upload_2018-7-12_19-58-37.png

7. Jul 12, 2018 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Don’t substitute for ##c##.

8. Jul 13, 2018 #7

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

As I said already, that is a quadratic function of ##t##. Just expand out ##\| a + (b-a)t \|^2##, using the definition of ##\| \cdot \|^2.##

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted