Finding when covector disappears

• Thread starter Kreizhn
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding all points in the two-dimensional real plane where the differential of a given function is equal to zero. The proposed method involves solving a differential equation or setting the coefficients to be identically zero. It is noted that for a covector field to be identically zero, the components must be zero in any coordinate chart, and this can be achieved by choosing elements of the tangent basis.
Kreizhn

Homework Statement

Find all the points [itex] p \in \mathbb R^2 [/itex] such that [itex] df_p =0 [/itex] where
[tex] df = \frac{ (y^2-x^2) dx - 2xy dy }{(x^2+y^2)^2} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I figure the way this should be done is by solving the differential equation derived from
[tex] (y^2-x^2) dx - 2xy dy =0 .[/tex]
It's either that or just find when the coefficients are identically zero. I can do either quite easily once I know for sure which I should be doing. Thoughts?

Edit: My only issue is that if I solve the differential equation, I will technically have a constant that I can't get rid of. Is there a canonical way of setting such a constant? Or is the solution the whole one-parameter family dictated by possible choices of the constant?

Physics news on Phys.org
This a part of some larger problem, right? A covector is a linear functional on vectors, right? dx and dy are linearly independent covectors. The only way a*dx+b*dy can vanish is if a and b are both zero.

Yeah sorry. For some reason I actually knew that but my brain died.

Indeed, for any covector field to be identically zero the components must be zero in any coordinate chart. Since [itex] df_p(X) =0, \forall X \in T_pM [/itex] we can, in particular, simply choose elements of the tangent basis, which forces the components to be zero.

I don't know why that slipped my mind. I appreciate the input though!

1. What is a covector?

A covector is a mathematical object that is used to describe the behavior of a vector in a specific direction.

2. What does it mean when a covector disappears?

When a covector disappears, it means that its magnitude becomes zero, and it no longer has any influence on the behavior of the vector it is associated with.

3. How do you find when a covector disappears?

To find when a covector disappears, you need to solve the equation that describes its behavior and look for values of the variables that make its magnitude equal to zero.

4. What are some applications of finding when a covector disappears?

Finding when a covector disappears is useful in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It can help in analyzing the stability of a system, predicting critical points, and optimizing processes.

5. Can a covector disappear in higher dimensions?

Yes, a covector can also disappear in higher dimensions. In fact, the concept of a covector and its disappearance is not limited to three-dimensional space and can be applied in any number of dimensions.