1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding when covector disappears

1. Oct 4, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find all the points [itex] p \in \mathbb R^2 [/itex] such that [itex] df_p =0 [/itex] where
    [tex] df = \frac{ (y^2-x^2) dx - 2xy dy }{(x^2+y^2)^2} [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I figure the way this should be done is by solving the differential equation derived from
    [tex] (y^2-x^2) dx - 2xy dy =0 .[/tex]
    It's either that or just find when the coefficients are identically zero. I can do either quite easily once I know for sure which I should be doing. Thoughts?

Edit: My only issue is that if I solve the differential equation, I will technically have a constant that I can't get rid of. Is there a canonical way of setting such a constant? Or is the solution the whole one-parameter family dictated by possible choices of the constant?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This a part of some larger problem, right? A covector is a linear functional on vectors, right? dx and dy are linearly independent covectors. The only way a*dx+b*dy can vanish is if a and b are both zero.

4. Oct 4, 2011 #3
    Yeah sorry. For some reason I actually knew that but my brain died.

Indeed, for any covector field to be identically zero the components must be zero in any coordinate chart. Since [itex] df_p(X) =0, \forall X \in T_pM [/itex] we can, in particular, simply choose elements of the tangent basis, which forces the components to be zero.

I don't know why that slipped my mind. I appreciate the input though!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook