1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding work done by F given coefficient of kinetic friction

1. Oct 25, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 2.55 kg block is pushed 1.54 m up a vertical wall with constant speed by a constant force of magnitude F applied at an angle of 69.9 degrees with the horizontal. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2. If the coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and wall is 0.613, find work done by F.

2. Relevant equations
    W = F*x

3. The attempt at a solution
    t = theta
    u = coefficient of kinetic friction

Fsint - uN = ma + mg

ma = 0 (since it's constant speed)
    N = Fcost

F = (mg + uFcost)/(sint)

W = F * x

I think my method is wrong because I end up with a F in the equation which I don't know. Please help me asap.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2008 #2

Gold Member

just factor the F out and then divide:

[tex]Fsin \theta- \mu F cos \theta = mg [/tex]

[tex]F= \frac{mg}{sin \theta-{\mu} cos \theta }[/tex]

you know m, g, u, x, and the angle, so you can plug in and solve for F, then plug in and solve for W.
  4. Oct 26, 2008 #3
    I tried to solve the problem before your response, and I got the same equation. I solved for F and got 34.307 N. Then I put that into the second equation to solve for W and got 52.832 J as my final answer. But this is still wrong (online submit)! I don't understand what I'm doing wrong.
  5. Oct 26, 2008 #4
    The angle is given with respect to the *horizontal*
  6. Oct 26, 2008 #5
    So would the equation for work be:
    W= Fcost * x

Because I did that and I got the answer 18.156 J but that is also wrong! Do you understand what I'm doing wrong?
  7. Oct 26, 2008 #6
    W=Fcos t *x is almost correct (Fcost t is the normal force)
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?