Finding work done by F given coefficient of kinetic friction

The correct equation for work would be:W= Fcos t * x - u * mg * xIn summary, to find the work done by a constant force of magnitude F pushing a block up a vertical wall with a coefficient of kinetic friction u, you can use the equation W= Fcos t * x - u * mg * x. This can be derived by setting the sum of forces equal to ma and solving for F.
RAKINMAZID

Homework Statement

A 2.55 kg block is pushed 1.54 m up a vertical wall with constant speed by a constant force of magnitude F applied at an angle of 69.9 degrees with the horizontal. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2. If the coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and wall is 0.613, find work done by F.

Homework Equations

W = F*x

The Attempt at a Solution

t = theta
u = coefficient of kinetic friction

Fsint - uN = ma + mg

ma = 0 (since it's constant speed)
N = Fcost

F = (mg + uFcost)/(sint)

W = F * x

I think my method is wrong because I end up with a F in the equation which I don't know. Please help me asap.

Physics news on Phys.org
just factor the F out and then divide:

[tex]Fsin \theta- \mu F cos \theta = mg [/tex]

[tex]F= \frac{mg}{sin \theta-{\mu} cos \theta }[/tex]

[tex]W=Fx[/tex]

you know m, g, u, x, and the angle, so you can plug in and solve for F, then plug in and solve for W.

I tried to solve the problem before your response, and I got the same equation. I solved for F and got 34.307 N. Then I put that into the second equation to solve for W and got 52.832 J as my final answer. But this is still wrong (online submit)! I don't understand what I'm doing wrong.

The angle is given with respect to the *horizontal*

So would the equation for work be:
W= Fcost * x

Because I did that and I got the answer 18.156 J but that is also wrong! Do you understand what I'm doing wrong?

W=Fcos t *x is almost correct (Fcost t is the normal force)

Last edited:

What is the definition of work?

The definition of work in physics is the product of force and displacement, where the force is applied in the same direction as the displacement.

What is the formula for finding work done by F given coefficient of kinetic friction?

The formula for finding work done by F given coefficient of kinetic friction is W = Fd cosθ, where W is the work, F is the force applied, d is the displacement, and θ is the angle between the force and displacement vectors.

How does the coefficient of kinetic friction affect the work done by F?

The coefficient of kinetic friction affects the work done by F by reducing the amount of work done. This is because the coefficient of kinetic friction represents the amount of friction between two surfaces in motion, which opposes the applied force and reduces the displacement.

Is work done by F positive or negative if the coefficient of kinetic friction is high?

If the coefficient of kinetic friction is high, the work done by F will be negative. This is because the force is being opposed by a strong frictional force, resulting in a negative work value.

What are some real-life applications of finding work done by F given coefficient of kinetic friction?

Some real-life applications of this concept include calculating the work done by a car's engine against the friction of the road, determining the energy expended by a person while pushing a heavy object across a surface, and understanding the efficiency of machines that have moving parts in contact with each other.