1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding work for lifting a chain with winch on top of a building

1. May 16, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A winch is positioned on top of a building, a distance 70 m above ground level. A chain of length 95 m and a mass per unit length of 1.2 kg/m hangs from the winch along the side of the building. Find the work done (in Joules) in reeling up 60 m of the chain.

2. Relevant equations

F=μLg (according to a few examples)

3. The attempt at a solution

hmm i followed a few examples seeing if it can help me get to the right answer
    ok so i know that
    dW=F*dy F=μLg
    so μ=1.2, g=9.81, L=(70-y) ....got that from the equation but not too sure about L
    ....if i put that together to solve for W
    W=∫ μLg dy from 0 to 60 ....60 because its reeling it up by 60
    then i do all the integral magic and i get 28252.8
    but the answer is suppose to be 42200 >_<

i used most of the number except for the length of the chain....not too sure what to do with it... i thought i can use to for my limits 95-60 and 95-70 but...i think thats just saying im only lifting its 25m to 35m =/

hope i got the right idea....thanks
  2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2010 #2

Homework Helper

this one may be easier to balance work & potential energy (ps i didn't go through all the working)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook