1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding X, Y in complex numbers.

1. May 28, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

8i = ( 2x + i ) (2y + i ) + 1

The final answers is [x =0, 4]
    [y=4, 0]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

The final answer in the book is stated as above but if I follow the solution I will get the real parts which would
    Equal 0=4xy meaning that both x and y when solving for either wil equal zero. If I continue the result I will get is

[X= 0, Y= 4]

I get one solution instead of 2 as provided in the book..

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2014 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

x=0 and y=4 is indeed one solution. There is another one and it's very similar to the first. Hint: note the symmetry of the real and imaginary equations in terms of x and y!

4. May 28, 2014 #3
    I don't see your attempt at a solution...?
    If you are given number = a *b +another number, then it is obvious that number - another number = a*b
    In the case of complex numbers, if we call the Real part of x, Re(x), and Im(x) for the imaginary part so that x = Re(x)+Im(x), then it is straightforward that:
    Re(number-another number) = Re((2x+i)(2y+i)) and
    Im(number-another number) = Im((2x+i)(2y+i)) and
    this gives you two equations and two unknowns.

5. May 28, 2014 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK, how did you arrive at x=0, y=4? (Your post 1). Show every step.

Last edited: May 29, 2014
  6. May 29, 2014 #5

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

x and y are real numbers.

7. May 29, 2014 #6
    My answers X=0 and Y=4 were correct, I talked to the teacher and he said the final answers given were wrong

Here's how I came up with it:

8i = 4xy + 2xi + 2yi + i^2 + 1

0 + 8i = 4xy + 2xi + 2yi -1 + 1 [ Since i^2 equals -1 ]

Real part = real part thus

0=4xy

X = 0/4y

X=0

Imaginary part = imaginary part thus

8 =2x + 2y

-2y = 2x -8

2y = 8-2x

Y = (8-2x)/2.. Now substitute with X=0

Y = (8-0)/2

Y= 4

[ X= 0, Y=4]

This is the correct solution. Thanks for the help everyone ^^

8. May 29, 2014 #7

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

##4xy=0## means either ##x=0## or ##y=0##. You only have one of the two answers.

It is an incomplete solution. ##x=4,~y=0## also works as suggested in post #2.

9. May 30, 2014 #8

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Looks like LC did the rest for you. It is correct. If your teacher said the two answers are wrong then HE is wrong.

10. May 30, 2014 #9
    I also did that when I didn't get the answer same as mine but I think the difference is that X doesn't equal 0 and 4 in the same formation; X either equals 0 or 4 depends on what you solve for.. It doesn't equal 0 and 4 when we solve for the same variant such as

x (x-4)=0

Where X will equal both 0 and 4 and get final answer as [x = 0, 4] instead of [x =0] only or [x=4] only.. I talked to the teacher about the possibility of when X equals 0
    When we solve for x at 4xy = 0 and when it equals 4 when we solve for Y at the same part and he said they're both correct.8

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted