Finding x = ymod(n) for x=2^71 and n=23

• Thread starter vikkisut88
  • Start date
In summary, the problem is to find the value of y, where y is an integer between 0 and 23, such that x is equivalent to y modulo(n). The values of x and n are given as x=2^71 and n=23. The conversation discusses the use of the equation a^(p-1) == 1mod(p) when p is a prime number and a is an integer not divisible by p. After some calculations, it is determined that y = 9.
vikkisut88

Homework Statement

In this statement find the integer y such that x == y mod(n) where 0 =< y < n
x=2^71 n=23

Homework Equations

Let p be a prime number and let a be an integer which is not divisible by p. Then a^(p-1) == 1mod(p)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am really struggling as to where to start out with this as obviously 2^71 is too large a number to show fully on any normal or scientific calculator(something like 2.361... x 10^21) and so when dividing by 23 this merely gives 1.0266... x 10^20 which doesn't allow you to find a remainder.
I'm not sure if the above equation using p as a prime number is of any relevance, but this would suggest that a^22 ==1mod(23). But i don't know where to go from there, if I can use it at all.

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay so after reading through my notes for about the millionth time, I'm not sure if I've just worked it out. See whether you think this is right?!

As n is a prime number, 2^22 == 1 mod(23)

Hence 2^71 == 2^66.2^5
== (2^22)^3 . 2^5
== 2^5 == 32
== 9 mod(23)

So y = 9

Yes, of course, that's correct. Why the doubt?

borgwal said:
Yes, of course, that's correct. Why the doubt?

because I'm appalling at Number Theory so normally I'm wrong :-p

vikkisut88 said:
because I'm appalling at Number Theory so normally I'm wrong :-p

Times have changed :-)

1. What is the equation for finding x = ymod(n)?

The equation for finding x = ymod(n) is x = y - n * floor(y/n), where x is the remainder when y is divided by n, and floor(y/n) is the largest integer less than or equal to y/n.

2. How do you find x = ymod(n) for specific values of x and n?

To find x = ymod(n) for specific values of x and n, you can use the equation x = y - n * floor(y/n). Simply plug in the values for y and n and solve for x.

3. What is the significance of finding x = ymod(n) in mathematics?

Finding x = ymod(n) is significant because it allows us to represent numbers in a modular system, which is useful in many areas of mathematics, such as number theory, cryptography, and computer science.

4. Can you provide an example of finding x = ymod(n) for x=2^71 and n=23?

Using the equation x = y - n * floor(y/n), we can find that x = 2^71 - 23 * floor(2^71/23) = 2^71 - 23 * 2^69 = 2^69(2^2 - 23) = 2^69 * 4 = 2^71 mod 23 = 4.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for finding x = ymod(n) for large values?

Yes, there are several shortcuts and tricks for finding x = ymod(n) for large values, such as using modular arithmetic rules, using the Chinese Remainder Theorem, or using a calculator or computer program specifically designed for modular arithmetic calculations.