1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Findng electric force for line of charge

1. Apr 30, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the force acting on an electron located "d" distance from the midpoint of a line of charge, length "L", located on the x axis. The line of charge is positive.

2. Relevant equations

F(e)=kq1q2/r^2

3. The attempt at a solution

λ=linear density, here the charge is uniform.
    So, dq=λdx I think?
    The distance is the variable that is changing, so we should integrate the dx and the limits should be over the length of the line?

k, e(electron) and λ are constant and can be brought out of integral... if the origin is the midpoint, then the limits of integration are -L/2 to L/2? The solution the book gives is the following:

4keλL/(4d^2-L^2)

I don't know where I'm going wrong with this equation, maybe I have the wrong r value?
    Is r=(d-x)^2 when dx is along the positive x axis?
    Any tips or perspectives would be great!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi lonewolf219! :smile:
    yes
    how can a distance equal a distance squared? :confused:

(and don't forget that force is a vector, so you'll need to integrate the component :wink:)

4. Apr 30, 2012 #3
    Ah, yes, that's why I prefer energy! The electron is also along the x axis, so the angle between the line and the electron is 0, so cos(0)=1?

Using Coulomb's formula, where denominator "r" is squared. The distance between the electron and a dx element of the line (?) can be represented by what? Is it d-x, where we don't know the value of x? Or d+x?

5. Apr 30, 2012 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

ah, i think the question means that the electron is on the y axis
    see above :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook