Finger tapping test L-R inequality

In summary, it is possible to speed up this process by using the left hand, but it is likely due to muscle memory and may not be the case for all joints.
tonyjeffs
Alternately tapping my first and second finger...
I can do this 20% faster with my left hand than my right hand.
Is it possible to speed this up, or is it a fixed property of my adult nerves?

Biology news on Phys.org
Are you left-handed?

Yes.

I wonder what the typical discrepency in dexterity is between the fingers of the dominant and the secondary hand.

Part of the reason for this discrepency is muscle memory.

This was first noticed in athletes who suffered injuries to joints. If they were not encouraged to begin using the joint again as soon as possible they were more prone to suffer further injuries to that joint. Studies showed that our muscles learn specific little routines to cope with the high speed demands we make of them. The human brain alone cannot do all the parrallel processessing necessary to orchestrate every little motion when when time is of the essense. When injured, our muscles can quickly forget these routines and when our brains try to draw on them again in their absense disaster can strike.

You might find the same is true for other joints on your body, that differing sides have differing abilities in this reguard. This can be influenced by the amount of billateral symmetry you possess, among other factors.

Last edited:
Why has evolution bothered to design one sided dominance?Surely it would have been more efficient to give equal powers to both sides.There must be a fundamental reason for this set up.

veloman said:
Why has evolution bothered to design one sided dominance?Surely it would have been more efficient to give equal powers to both sides.There must be a fundamental reason for this set up.

Because evolution doesn't "design" anything. There's no "giving" of anything. New traits appear by chance, beneficial ones remain, detrimental ones decrease in the population, and neutral ones may come and go.

FAQ: Finger tapping test L-R inequality

What is the Finger Tapping Test L-R Inequality?

The Finger Tapping Test L-R Inequality is a neuropsychological test used to measure motor speed and dexterity. It involves repeatedly tapping a key or button with the index finger of each hand, and the results are used to assess any differences in speed or coordination between the left and right hand.

How is the Finger Tapping Test L-R Inequality administered?

The test is typically administered using a specialized device, such as a finger tapping apparatus or a computer program. The participant is instructed to tap the key or button as quickly and accurately as possible with their index fingers for a designated period of time, usually 30 seconds or 1 minute.

What does the Finger Tapping Test L-R Inequality measure?

The test measures the speed and coordination of finger movements, as well as any differences between the dominant (usually right) and non-dominant (usually left) hand. It can also provide information about fine motor control and potential motor deficits or abnormalities.

What factors can affect the results of the Finger Tapping Test L-R Inequality?

Several factors can potentially affect the results of the test, including age, gender, physical health, and neurological conditions. Medications, fatigue, and anxiety can also impact performance. Therefore, it is important for the test administrator to consider these factors when interpreting the results.

What are the potential uses of the Finger Tapping Test L-R Inequality?

The Finger Tapping Test L-R Inequality can be used in various settings, such as clinical evaluations, research studies, and sports training. It can help identify motor impairments, monitor changes in motor function over time, and assess the effectiveness of interventions or treatments for motor-related conditions.