Finished undergraduate electrodynamics: what next?

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a good graduate level book on electrodynamics that is mathematically rigorous. The participant mentions having a strong background in math and preference for rigorous books, but any good book will do. Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics is mentioned as a commonly used text, but other suggestions include Barut, Schwinger, Englert, and Charap. The participant also mentions finding Griffith's Quantum Mechanics book to be too mathematically light. Other recommendations for mathematically rigorous books include Garrity's Electricity and Magnetism for Mathematicians, Hehl and Obukhov's Foundations of Classical Electrodynamics, and Parrott's Relativistic Electrodynamics and Differential Geometry.
s00mb
I am almost finished with Griffiths intro to electrodynamics and was wondering what would be a good graduate level book on electrodynamics that I could self learn. I've also done His quantum mechanics book as well as Sakurai's quantum mechanics, and have a strong background in math (it's actually what my degree is in). My preference leans toward more mathematical rigorous books but that's just a preference any good book will do. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics is (or at least has been) pretty commonly used in graduate physics programs in the US.

If you do a forum search for "Jackson", you'll probably turn up leads to other textbooks at that level. Restrict the search to "This forum" instead of "Everywhere".

Likes vanhees71, Phylosopher and Charles Link
jtbell said:
Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics is (or at least has been) pretty commonly used

Sorry to interrupt the thread. But this really caught my eyes!

I thought it is still widely used. What other textbooks are used currently as a replacement to Jackson's?

jtbell said:
Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics is (or at least has been) pretty commonly used
Phylosopher said:
I thought it is still widely used.
I merely intended that as a "weasel phrase" in case things have changed since I was in grad school 40 years ago. :oldwink:

• Haha
Likes Phylosopher and vanhees71
Almost all physics graduate students use Jackson as their main text. I think Stratton is a good book for graduate EM that was probably used 50 years ago before Jackson. It seems to be at approximately the same level. I think Jackson prepares graduate students towards high energy physics research to a greater extent than Stratton, which is an older text.

Both these books are quite mathematically rigorous.
I think it strange you prefer mathematically rigorous books and then prefer Griffith.

I found Griffith Quantum Mechanics to (attempt to) solve some of his sample problems without doing any math at all.

s00mb said:
My preference leans toward more mathematical rigorous books
If you want something like electrodynamics for mathematicians, then Jackson is not what you are looking for. Instead, try with
- Garrity, Electricity and Magnetism for Mathematicians
- Hehl and Obukhov, Foundations of Classical Electrodynamics
- Parrott, Relativistic Electrodynamics and Differential Geometry

• Love
Likes vanhees71 and weirdoguy

1. What career options are available for someone with an undergraduate degree in electrodynamics?

There are several career paths available for someone with an undergraduate degree in electrodynamics. Some common options include working as an electrical engineer, research scientist, or data analyst. You could also pursue graduate studies in a related field, such as physics or engineering.

2. What skills are important for someone pursuing a career in electrodynamics?

Strong mathematical and analytical skills are essential for success in electrodynamics. Additionally, proficiency in computer programming and problem-solving abilities are highly valued in this field. Good communication skills and the ability to work in a team are also important for collaborating on projects.

3. What type of research can be done in the field of electrodynamics?

Electrodynamics is a broad field that encompasses a variety of research areas. Some common topics include electromagnetic wave propagation, antenna design, and circuit analysis. Other areas of research may focus on applications of electrodynamics, such as wireless communication or renewable energy.

4. How can I continue to develop my knowledge in electrodynamics after completing my undergraduate degree?

There are several ways to continue learning about electrodynamics after completing your undergraduate degree. You could pursue a graduate degree in the field, attend conferences and workshops, or join professional organizations related to electrodynamics. Additionally, staying updated on current research and advancements in the field through publications and online resources can help you stay knowledgeable and informed.

5. Are there any specific industries that heavily rely on electrodynamics?

Yes, there are several industries that heavily rely on electrodynamics. Some examples include telecommunications, aerospace and defense, and renewable energy. Other industries that use electrodynamics principles include electronics, medical devices, and automotive engineering. With the increasing demand for technology and innovation, the applications of electrodynamics are constantly expanding.