Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finite square well potential numerical solution

1. Feb 26, 2015 #1
    hi guys i need some help with the iteration made in a numerical solution for the eigenstates in a finite square well potential using the effective length approximation

First, i find the eigenstate for a infinite square well, then i define the related alpha and i use it to define an effective length as the nominal one plus 2/alpha, and so on.

the n iteration will use the nominal length plus 2/alpha(n-1) to find the n eigenstate and to define the n alpha (which depends on E)

In this way my equations converge when En=En-1 (and i find the rigth eigenstates).

I have a conceptual doubt: when i define the new length, is the iteration trying to fit the old solution in a new well? (nominal length plus 2/alpha contain almost all the wave function)

but why if i make the same thing with 4/alpha doesn't work?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2015 #2

Quantum Defect

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think that we need to see a bit more explained. I am familiar with some methods (Cooley-Numerov) of numerically solving the 1-D Schrodinger equation.

What are you calculating as you iterate? What are you converging to?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook