Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Firefox Not Working: Shutdown during Update

1. Jan 14, 2013 #1
    So I was forced to shutdown Firefox while it was updating. Needless to say, it is not happy with me. I'm running Win7. I have tried the obvious things. Uninstalled FF including all customizations. I also deleted the folder in "Program Files." FF will start up, but nothing ever loads. I cannot go to any webpages (I gave it about 10-15 minutes just in case it was my internet). Internet Explorer is working, so I think my connection is OK.

Hopefully someone can help me out. IE is dismal :yuck:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2013 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

IE is indeed dismal but FireFox is no walk in the park either, as you are finding out. Sounds like you've done all the right things. Wish I had some good advice. Good luck.

4. Jan 14, 2013 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Switch to Google Chrome or Opera.

5. Jan 14, 2013 #4
    I would love to use Chrome, but I was instructed by IT to remove it from my system due to a security issue. We are forced to use IE 7 or FF. Not sure about Opera though.

6. Jan 14, 2013 #5

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Find "system restore" (probably in the start menu under accessories / system tools) and see if you have a system restore point before you broke it.

If so, restore to there and try the update again.

Then find out how to stop FF (and any other software) doing automatic updates. There's no problem about automatically notifying you there are updates available, but install them when you want, not whenever your computer feels like upgrading itself!

7. Jan 14, 2013 #6

OCR

8. Jan 14, 2013 #7
    Hi All!

It turns out that the company that my company works for put out a block on FF.

Thanks anyway!

9. Jan 14, 2013 #8

Borg

Gold Member

LOL. Sounds like my company. We have customer requirements to support Firefox but our company blocked the Firefox website for several years. Makes it difficult to test without breaking company rules. :rolleyes:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook