First isomorphism theorem for rings

In summary, the conversation discusses showing that \sum ai xi -> (a0 \sum ai) is a ring homomorphism from C[x] to C x C and then using the first isomorphism theorem to show that there is an isomorphism from C[x]/ (x(x-1)) to C x C. The conversation also considers whether C[x]/(x(x-1)) is an integral domain and discusses strategies for showing that ker f = (x(x-1)).
Kate2010

Homework Statement

I have to show that [tex]\sum[/tex] ai xi -> (a0 [tex]\sum[/tex] ai) is a ring homomorphism from C[x] to C x C

I then have to use the first isomorphism theorem to show that there is an isomorphism from C[x]/ (x(x-1)) to C x C where (x(x-1)) is the principal ideal (p) generated by the element p=x(x-1) of C[x]

It then asks is C[x]/(x(x-1)) an integral domain.

Homework Equations

First isomorphism theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I may have done the first part but I'm a little unsure if my notation/understanding is fully correct, considering multiplication can I say f(([tex]\sum[/tex] ai xi)([tex]\sum[/tex] bj xj) = f ([tex]\sum[/tex] (aibj) xk) {summing over i+j=k} = (a0,[tex]\sum[/tex]ai)(bo,[tex]\sum[/tex]bj) = f([tex]\sum[/tex] ai xi) f([tex]\sum[/tex] bj xj)

I'm more stuck on the second part. I think I am aiming to show that ker f = (x(x-1))

ker f = {a0 + a1x + ... + anxn : a0 = 0, a1 + ... +an = 0}
= {x (a1 + ... + anxn-1) : a1+ ... +an =0}

Now I thought about trying to pull out a factor of x-1 but I don't think that would work?
I can see that x(x-1) does satisfy that there is no constant term and the sum of ai is 0 but I don't see how to get that all polynomials multiplied by it do.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kate2010 said:
I'm more stuck on the second part. I think I am aiming to show that ker f = (x(x-1))

ker f = {a0 + a1x + ... + anxn : a0 = 0, a1 + ... +an = 0}
= {x (a1 + ... + anxn-1) : a1+ ... +an =0}

Now I thought about trying to pull out a factor of x-1 but I don't think that would work?
I can see that x(x-1) does satisfy that there is no constant term and the sum of ai is 0 but I don't see how to get that all polynomials multiplied by it do.

Since you know that 1 is a root of the polynomial a1x + ... + an x^(n-1), x-1 will divide it.

Alternatively, you know that x(x-1) must generate the entire ideal because C[x] is a PID and so ker f is generated by any element of lowest degree (and clearly there cannot be an element in ker f of degree less than 2 since 0 and 1 are both roots).

What is the First Isomorphism Theorem for Rings?

The First Isomorphism Theorem for Rings states that if $f: R \rightarrow S$ is a ring homomorphism, then $R/\text{ker}(f) \cong \text{im}(f)$, where $\text{ker}(f)$ is the kernel of $f$ and $\text{im}(f)$ is the image of $f$.

How is the First Isomorphism Theorem for Rings different from the First Isomorphism Theorem for Groups?

The First Isomorphism Theorem for Rings is similar to the First Isomorphism Theorem for Groups, but it applies to rings instead of groups. In both theorems, the structure of the quotient object is isomorphic to the image of the homomorphism. However, in the First Isomorphism Theorem for Rings, the kernel is an ideal of the ring, while in the First Isomorphism Theorem for Groups, the kernel is a normal subgroup of the group.

How can the First Isomorphism Theorem for Rings be used to prove other theorems?

The First Isomorphism Theorem for Rings can be used to prove other theorems related to ring homomorphisms. For example, it can be used to show that the kernel and image of a ring homomorphism are both ideals, or to prove the Second Isomorphism Theorem for Rings.

What are some practical applications of the First Isomorphism Theorem for Rings?

The First Isomorphism Theorem for Rings has many practical applications in areas such as algebra, number theory, and coding theory. It can be used to simplify and analyze complex mathematical problems involving rings and their homomorphisms.

Are there any limitations to the First Isomorphism Theorem for Rings?

The First Isomorphism Theorem for Rings only applies to ring homomorphisms, so it cannot be used for other types of mappings between rings. Additionally, it only applies to commutative rings, so it cannot be used for non-commutative rings.