First Law of Thermodynamics and a bullet

In summary, the example from the book considers the bullet and tree as a closed system, with no external work or heat involved. Therefore, the lost kinetic energy of the bullet is converted into internal energy of the system, represented by U.
soccer4life
1. A 3.0-g bullet traveling at a speed of 400 m/s enters a tree and exits the other side with a speed of 200 m/s. Where did the bullet's lost KE go, and what was the energy transferred?
2. ΔKE+ΔPE+ΔU = Q-W
3. The only questions I have about this problem are why does the Work=0, Heat=0, and why does the ΔPE=0?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
soccer4life said:
1. A 3.0-g bullet traveling at a speed of 400 m/s enters a tree and exits the other side with a speed of 200 m/s. Where did the bullet's lost KE go, and what was the energy transferred?

2. ΔKE+ΔPE+ΔU = Q-W

3. The only questions I have about this problem are why does the Work=0, Heat=0, and why does the ΔPE=0?

Welcome to the PF.

Why do you say that work & delta heat are zero? The lost KE has to go somewhere.

And how do you define the PE of the bullet in this problem...? :smile:

Well, this is an example from the book, and the book states in it's solution:
'Q=W=ΔPE=0.' I don't understand why this is true.

Tell me if this is right: ΔPE=0 because the change of height before & after the bullet passes through the tree is so small that it is assumed to =0.

Correct on your ΔPE=0 reasoning.

I have no idea what they are saying with work and heat delta being zero. Work is done by the tree on the bullet to slow it down and change its KE, and the bullet hole is definiely left warmed by the passing of the bullet. Can you scan the example and upload it as an attachment?

Rather than scan the example, I will copy it's reasoning:

"APPROACH: Take the Bullet and the tree as our system. No Potential energy is involved. No work is done on (or by) the system by outside forces, nor is any heat added because no energy was transferred to or from the system due to a temperature difference. Thus the kinetic energy gets transformed into internal energy of the bullet and tree."

I am confused because I also thought that the tree is doing work on the bullet.

Is this a valid explanation for Q=0: no heat is added or removed from the bullet itself

It all depends how the variables are defined. If Q and W are defined as external inputs/outputs to/from a system consisting of tree+bullet then, yes, they're 0. The heat then becomes represented by the internal energy of the system, U.

Likes 1 person

1. What is the First Law of Thermodynamics?

The First Law of Thermodynamics, also known as the Law of Conservation of Energy, states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transferred or converted from one form to another.

2. How does the First Law of Thermodynamics relate to a bullet?

The First Law of Thermodynamics applies to a bullet because it involves the transfer and conversion of energy. When a bullet is fired, chemical energy from the gunpowder is converted into kinetic energy as the bullet moves through the air.

3. What happens to the energy of a bullet after it is fired?

After a bullet is fired, the energy from the gunpowder is transferred to the bullet, giving it kinetic energy. As the bullet moves through the air, some of the energy is transferred to the surrounding air as heat and sound. The remaining energy is used to do work, such as penetrating a target.

4. Can the First Law of Thermodynamics explain the trajectory of a bullet?

The First Law of Thermodynamics does not directly explain the trajectory of a bullet. However, it does play a role in the bullet's initial velocity and how it loses energy as it travels through the air, which can affect its trajectory.

5. How does the First Law of Thermodynamics impact the efficiency of a bullet?

The First Law of Thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. In the case of a bullet, this means that some of the energy will be lost as heat and sound, making the bullet less efficient. This is why advanced designs and materials are used to increase a bullet's efficiency and reduce energy loss.