Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

First Order Inhomogeneous ODE

1. Jul 10, 2014 #1
    For a regular LR circuit (L and R in series) and with a AC voltage:

R8yRjNY.jpg

I tried to derive the solution myself.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jmsu9j0vt91ze8x/LRcircuit.jpg

So first I solved with undetermined coefficients, plugged them in, and then solved with Cramer's Rule.

Then I added the term (the solution for the homogeneous case) with the solution I got with undertermined coefficients.

Then I used initial value: the current i(t) at t=0 is 0.

Then I got the general solution: an exponential term, a cosine term and a sine term. But my solution is quite different from the book.

Can anyone help me?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2014 #2
    Your solutions looks correct.

To get it into the above form you have to use the cos difference identity...

[itex]\cos {\left(\left(\omega t + \phi\right) - \theta\right)}=\cos {\left(\omega t + \phi\right)}\cos {\theta}+\sin {\left(\omega t + \phi\right)} \sin {\theta} [/itex]

The trick is to figure out what [itex]\theta[/itex] is in terms of [itex]R,\omega, L[/itex]. To do this think of a right triangle with sides [itex]R[/itex] and [itex] \omega L [/itex].

4. Jul 11, 2014 #3
    I made a mistake in my solution bye the way.

In evaluating the coefficient of C of the exponential term, when I took t = 0 I let the sine term vanishes but that doesn't vanishes sin (wt + q) it become sin (q). I was thinking about sin (wt) becomes zero, yes but not with a phase angle between the brackets. Stupid mistake.

This the correct one:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ne1wo9wknk3s1mw/20140711_121219~2.jpg

Then I used a numerical example to comparize mine solution with the one for the book.

No idea how I will get it in that form from the book. :) I'm gonna try later this day. Thanks for your identity.

Edit: I got it!! Thanks again for your identity. I will post solution to be complete soon. :)

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook