1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

First order linear non-homogeneous PDE

1. Sep 19, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the general solution to the PDE and solve the initial value problem:
    y2 (ux) + x2 (uy) = 2 y2, initial condition u(x, y) = -2y on y3 = x3 - 2

2. Relevant equations/concepts
    First order linear non-homogeneous PDEs

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that the general solution to the non-homogeneous PDE = a particular soltuion to it + the general solution to the assoicated homogenous PDE, so I first consider to assocatied homogeneous equation:
    y2 (ux) + x2 (uy) = 0

The characteristic equation is dy/dx = x2/y2
    And the solution to this ODE is y3 - x3 = C where C is an arbitrary constant.
    So the general solution to the homogeneous equation is u = f(y3 - x3) where f is arbitrary differentiable function of one variable.
    But then I am stuck. How can I find a particular solution to the original non-homogeneous PDE? Is there a systematic way to find one such solution?

Any help is appreciated! :)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2009 #2
    Can someone please help? I am still stuck on this problem... :(

4. Sep 20, 2009 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't know about any systematic ways, but just looking at it, if you could find a u such that ux = 2 and uy = 0 that would do it. And that's easy.

5. Sep 20, 2009 #4
    Then, I think u=2x will work as a particular solution.

But really, can anyone suggest a more general/systematic way to solve it that would work also for more complicated first order linear PDEs?

Thanks!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook