First order non-linear differential equation

In summary, the student is struggling with an extension problem in a Dynamics lecture involving a particle accelerating under Galilean gravity and a non-linear resistive force. They attempted to solve the problem using separation of variables, but encountered issues with integrating with respect to vectors and the involvement of z. They were advised not to split up the differential equation and are seeking help with the problem. Additionally, the equations of motion for velocity in the x and y directions do not decouple in the case of quadratic resistance and arbitrary motion in the plane.
cen4

Homework Statement

Hello, I was given an extension problem in a Dynamics lecture today and am struggling to solve it.

It is a simple scenario: a particle of mass m is accelerating due to Galilean gravity, but is subject to a resistive force that is non-linear in the velocity of the particle. This is in the usual Cartesian coordinate system, where z is the unit vector pointing vertically.

I will use bold font to denote vectors, and let v' = dv/dt [not the usual notation, but I do not know how else to easily show derivatives on forums].
Also, v is the speed of the particle, magnitude of velocity v.

Homework Equations

The resistive force is given by : -μvv

Where μ is a constant.

From N II : mv' = -gz - μvv

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm unsure on how to solve this non-linear ODE. My attempt at a solution via separation of variables the equation ended up with a solution involving arctan. However, I was confused about the idea of integrating with respect to v, the vector, particularly when we have z involved - so this solution may be completely invalid. We were told not to split up the differential equation into components of the vectors, but instead to solve completely through as the problem was given.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In the case of quadratic resistance and an arbritary motion of the body in the plane (e.g not constrained to move horizontally or vertically), then the equations of motion for the velocity in the x and y direction do not decouple.

If you separated variables, did you consider the motion to occur in one direction?

What is a first order non-linear differential equation?

A first order non-linear differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function to its derivatives. It contains at least one term that is not a linear function of the dependent variable or its derivatives.

What is the difference between a linear and non-linear differential equation?

The main difference between a linear and non-linear differential equation is the presence of non-linear terms. In a linear differential equation, all terms are linear functions of the dependent variable and its derivatives, while in a non-linear differential equation, at least one term is non-linear.

How do you solve a first order non-linear differential equation?

Solving a first order non-linear differential equation usually involves separating variables, integrating both sides of the equation, and then solving for the dependent variable. However, in some cases, it may not be possible to find an exact solution and numerical methods may be used instead.

What are some real-life applications of first order non-linear differential equations?

First order non-linear differential equations are commonly used in physics, engineering, and economics to model various phenomena such as population growth, chemical reactions, and electric circuits. They are also used in biology to model the growth of organisms and in medicine to study drug absorption and metabolism.

What are the limitations of using first order non-linear differential equations?

One limitation of using first order non-linear differential equations is that they may not always have an exact solution, making it necessary to use numerical methods. Additionally, these equations can become very complex and difficult to solve for more complicated systems. Therefore, they may not always accurately predict real-life phenomena.