1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

First order Ordinary Differential Equation

1. Sep 14, 2009 #1

PAR

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Solve the differential equation:

[tex]y' = 8sin(4yt) ; y(1) = 4[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

The integrating doesn't apply because I can't get the equation into:
    y' + p*y = f(x) form

Also, I have tried separating variables, but I can't get the y inside of the sin(4yt) outside of the sin(). Basically, I need some help to get started.

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2009 #2

Avodyne

Science Advisor

Try changing variables: y(t)=z(t)/t.

4. Sep 15, 2009 #3

PAR

Correction! The differential equation should be y' = 8sin(4yt) instead of y'=8y[tex]^{3}[/tex]sin(4yt)

I've tried substitution where y(t) = z(t)/t

This gave me:

[tex]y' = z'/t - z/t^{2} = 8sin(4z)[/tex]

The problem now is that I still have a function of z on the right hand side of the equation, and I don't know how to combine it with the left hand side to give me an a nice integrating factor or separation of variables. I was thinking I could divide the whole thing by sin(4z) anyway, and then integrate with respect to t. The z' would be integrable and so would the 8, but the resulting -z/(t[tex]^{2}[/tex]sin(4z)) I don't know how to integrate with respect to t. Great help so far, but could still use more :).

5. Sep 15, 2009 #4
    [tex]\frac{dy}{dt} = 8\sin (4yt)[/tex]

[tex] y=\frac{z}{t} \Rightarrow 8 \sin (4yt) = 8 \sin (4z) = \frac{dy}{dt} [/tex]

[tex] y=\frac{z}{t} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{dy}{dt}=-\frac{dz}{t^2 dt} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{dz}{dt} = -8t^2\sin (4z) [/tex]

[tex] \int \frac{dz}{\sin (4z)} = \int -8t^2 dt [/tex]

Maybe that will work?

6. Sep 15, 2009 #5

PAR

Don't you have to apply the product rule when you differentiate y?

Since y = z/t = zt[tex]^{-1}[/tex] and z is a function of t by definition shouldn't

y' = z'/t - z/t[tex]^{-2}[/tex] instead of y' = [tex]-\frac{dz}{t^2 dt} [/tex]

7. Sep 15, 2009 #6
    Oh yeah god, use the product rule :$.

8. Sep 15, 2009 #7

PAR

Thank you Gregg and Avodyne for the help, but I don't have a solution to this problem. Is there a different way to solve first order ODE other than separation of variables and the integration factor? Please, I need some help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook