First order partial wave eqaution, one boundary and one initial condit

In summary, the author attempted to solve a PDE using a general solution and then stated that the solution is valid only for x-ct>0 and t-\frac{1}{c}x>0.
barefeet

Homework Statement

Solve

[tex] \frac{\partial{w}}{\partial{t}} + c \frac{\partial{w}}{\partial{x}} =0 \hspace{3 mm} (c>0) [/tex]
for x>0 and t>0 if

[tex] w(x,0) = f(x) [/tex]
[tex] w(0,t) = h(t) [/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to solve for the conditions separately and that would give
[tex] w(x,t) = f(x-ct) [/tex] and
[tex] w(x,t) = h(t-\frac{1}{c}x) [/tex]

but how do you solve it for both? And when does x>0 or t>0 matter?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
barefeet said:

Homework Statement

Solve

[tex] \frac{\partial{w}}{\partial{t}} + c \frac{\partial{w}}{\partial{x}} =0 \hspace{3 mm} (c>0) [/tex]

for x>0 and t>0 if

[tex] w(x,0) = f(x) [/tex]
[tex] w(0,t) = h(t) [/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to solve for the conditions separately and that would give
[tex] w(x,t) = f(x-ct) [/tex] and
[tex] w(x,t) = h(t-\frac{1}{c}x) [/tex]

but how do you solve it for both? And when does x>0 or t>0 matter?

Let's not call your solution ##w(x,t) = f(x-ct)## because you are using ##f## in the initial condition. So begin by stating your general solution is ##w(x,t) = g(x-ct)## for arbitrary, but as yet unknown, ##g##. Now what happens when you apply your first initial condition to that. Does it tell you what ##g## must be? Then continue...

Now I am confused, if I start out with [tex] g(x-ct) [/tex] then applying the first initial condition [tex] w(x,0) = f(x) =g(x-0)=g(x) [/tex]. So [tex]g(x-ct)[/tex] must be [tex]f(x-ct)[/tex], right?

Last edited:
I might have overlooked the fact that I have to give a solution for : [itex] x>0[/itex] and [itex] t>0[/itex]
So [itex] g(x-ct)=f(x-ct) [/itex] is only valid for [itex]x-ct>0[/itex] and [itex]g(t-\frac{1}{c}x)=h(t-\frac{1}{c}x )[/itex] is only valid for [itex]t-\frac{1}{c}x>0[/itex]

I think I have the right visual picture in my head now. So, in the [itex]x,t[/itex] plane my solution only considers the first quadrant of the plane.

And the triangle made by the lines [itex] x=ct [/itex], the [itex]x[/itex]-axis and the line [itex]x=\infty[/itex] is defined by the initial condition at the positive [itex]x[/itex]-axis.
And the triangle made by the lines [itex] x=ct [/itex], the [itex]t[/itex]-axis and the line [itex]t=\infty[/itex] is given by the boundary condition at the positive [itex]t[/itex]-axis.

So the solution would be:
[tex]w(x,t) = f(x-ct) \hspace{3 mm} (x>ct)[/tex]
[tex]w(x,t) = h(t-\frac{1}{c}x) \hspace{3 mm} (x<ct)[/tex]
This would be ok right?

Last edited:
Yes, I think that does it.

Disclaimer: I'm not a PDE expert, so if any such experts disagree, speak up now...:uhh:

Likes 1 person

1. What is a first order partial wave equation?

A first order partial wave equation is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of certain types of waves. It is a first-order differential equation, meaning that it involves the first derivative of the wave function with respect to time or space.

2. What is the difference between a boundary condition and an initial condition in the context of a first order partial wave equation?

A boundary condition is a specification of the behavior of the wave at the edges or boundaries of the system. An initial condition is a specification of the wave's behavior at a specific point in time or space, usually at the beginning of the system. In a first order partial wave equation, there is typically one boundary condition and one initial condition.

3. How are first order partial wave equations used in scientific research?

First order partial wave equations are used in a variety of scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are particularly useful for studying the behavior of waves in different systems, such as sound waves, electromagnetic waves, and quantum mechanical waves.

4. Can you give an example of a first order partial wave equation with one boundary condition and one initial condition?

An example of a first order partial wave equation with one boundary condition and one initial condition is the damped harmonic oscillator equation, which describes the motion of a mass attached to a spring with friction. The boundary condition in this case would be the behavior of the system at the ends of the spring, and the initial condition would be the initial position and velocity of the mass.

5. How do scientists solve first order partial wave equations with one boundary condition and one initial condition?

There are a variety of methods for solving first order partial wave equations, including analytical methods such as separation of variables and numerical methods such as finite difference methods. The specific method used will depend on the specific equation and boundary/initial conditions involved.