First students through a new program?

In summary, the university is creating a new graduate program (MS/PhD) and it is in the final stages of approval. They plan to begin accepting students in July for fall 2007 with a capped class size of 6-7 students. New faculty is being hired for the program. One person is concerned about being the first to go through the program but others suggest there may be benefits such as having input on course offerings and responsibilities.
tehfrr
Our university is in the process of creating a new graduate program (MS/PhD), and it is in the final stages of approval. They expect everything to be finalized in the next couple of months, and will begin accepting students in July for fall 2007. For the first few years class size will be capped at 6-7 students. New faculty is currently being hired for the program.

I am planning to apply for the program for fall '07, and was told I am a very strong candidate. I do have concerns though about being the guinea pig. Have any of you ever been in this position, the first to go through a brand new program? Should I be concerned? Or should I probably not stress if it seems like the university has its act together? Opinions?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
One possible bonus that I can see is that you may have a large amount of input about the program. Course offering, duties/responsibilities, etc.

I understand your concerns about being one of the first students through a new program. It is natural to have some hesitations and questions about the quality and effectiveness of a new program. However, I would like to assure you that the university has likely put a lot of thought and effort into creating this program and ensuring its success.

The fact that the program is in its final stages of approval and that new faculty is being hired specifically for this program shows that the university is committed to making it a success. Additionally, starting with a smaller class size allows for more personalized attention and feedback from the faculty, which can be beneficial for students.

I would also recommend reaching out to the faculty in charge of the program or current students in other programs at the university to get a better understanding of their experience and the resources available to support students in this new program. This can help alleviate any concerns or doubts you may have.

Overall, I believe that the university has taken the necessary steps to ensure that the program will be a valuable and rewarding experience for its students. As with any new program, there may be some adjustments and improvements along the way, but I would not let that deter you from applying and being part of this exciting opportunity. Good luck with your application!

FAQ: First students through a new program?

What is the purpose of the new program?

The purpose of the new program is to provide a unique and beneficial learning experience for students.

What subjects or topics will the program cover?

The program will cover a range of subjects or topics depending on its specific focus. However, it is designed to provide a well-rounded education.

Who is eligible to participate in the program?

The eligibility requirements for the program may vary, but typically it is open to all students who meet the necessary academic and/or personal criteria.

How will students be selected for the program?

The selection process for the program will depend on the specific criteria and requirements. It may involve an application, interview, or other assessment methods.

What are the expected outcomes for students who complete the program?

The expected outcomes for students who complete the program may include acquiring new knowledge and skills, developing critical thinking and problem-solving abilities, and preparing for future academic or professional pursuits.