1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

First variation of convolution of two nonlinear functions

1. May 14, 2014 #1
    A new variational principle is presented in this paper: http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1112/1112.2286.pdf

When trying to derive something like the equation of motion of a Duffing oscillator, I take the following approach:

Set up the functional as such:
    $$
    \mathcal{I}\left(t,x(t),\dot{x}(t)\right) = \frac{1}{2}\left[\dot{x} * \dot{x} \right]+\frac{\beta}{2}\left[x * x \right]+\frac{\alpha}{4}\left[x^2 * x^2 \right]
    $$

Where:
    $$
    \left[f * g\right]=\int^{t}_{0}f\left(t-\tau\right)g\left(\tau\right)\,\text{d}\tau
    $$

Now, normally, I would take the first variation of the expression for $\mathcal{I}$ and then collect the similar variations $\delta x$ and equate their coefficient to zero, but it's not immediately obvious how one would do that with this expression:

$$
    \mathcal{I}= \left[\delta\dot{x} * \dot{x} \right]+\beta\left[\delta x * x \right]+\alpha\left[x \delta x * x^2 \right]
    $$

Using the integration by parts principle for convolutions, we get:

$$
    \mathcal{I}= \left[\delta x * \left(\ddot{x}+\beta x\right) \right]+\left[x \delta x * x^2 \right]+\left.\delta x \dot{x}\right]^{t}_{0}
    $$

Where it not for the nonlinear term in the last term of $\mathcal{I}$, I would have the full dynamics, namely:
    $$
    \ddot{x}+\beta x=0
    $$

Although the dynamics should be:

$$
    \ddot{x}+\beta x+\alpha x^3 =0
    $$

But there is no way I can see of incorporating the convolution term with $x\delta x$ into the other terms convolved with $\delta x$.

I've tried playing around with the properties of convolutions and so far have not found a solution.

Is there a way to manipulate this convolutions to get the desired dynamics?

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2014 #2
    Any method that would enable me to reexpress:
    $$
    \left[x \delta x * x^2 \right]
    $$

As the variation convolved with something else would work.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook