First Weyl Algebras .... A_1 ....

• MHB
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Weyl
In summary, Bresar's book "Introduction to Noncommutative Algebra" discusses Chapter 1, which focuses on Finite Dimensional Division Algebras. In this chapter, there are remarks made about Weyl Algebras, particularly the equation [D, L] = I, which some may believe should be [D, L] = 0. However, this equation is actually the result of the product rule from calculus, showing that [D, L] = I. This explanation was provided by the user Opalg on Physics Forums.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Matej Bresar's book, "Introduction to Noncommutative Algebra" and am currently focussed on Chapter 1: Finite Dimensional Division Algebras ... ...

I need help with some remarks of Bresar on first Weyl Algebras ...

Bresar's remarks on Weyl Algebras are as follows:https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/6236
View attachment 6237In the above text from Bresar we read the following: (see (1.4) above)

" ... ... It is straightforward to check that

\(\displaystyle [D, L] = I\)

the identity operator ..."Can someone please explain exactly why \(\displaystyle [D, L] = I\) ... ... ?

(It looks more like \(\displaystyle [D, L] = 0\) to me?)Help will be appreciated ...

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
In the above text from Bresar we read the following: (see (1.4) above)

" ... ... It is straightforward to check that

\(\displaystyle [D, L] = I\)

the identity operator ..."Can someone please explain exactly why \(\displaystyle [D, L] = I\) ... ... ?

(It looks more like \(\displaystyle [D, L] = 0\) to me?)Help will be appreciated ...

Peter
Effectively, this is just the product rule from calculus, which tells you that $$\frac d{dx}\bigl(xf(x)\bigr) = f(x) + x\frac d{dx}\bigl(f(x)\bigr).$$ If $D$ denotes differentiation, $L$ is the operation of multiplication by $x$, and $I$ is the identity operator, then that equation can be written as $$DL\bigl(f(x)\bigr) = I\bigl(f(x)\bigr) + LD\bigl(f(x)\bigr).$$ When you hide the $\bigl(f(x)\bigr)$s and write this as an operator equation, it says $DL = I + LD$, in other words $[D,L] = DL - LD = I.$

Opalg said:
Effectively, this is just the product rule from calculus, which tells you that $$\frac d{dx}\bigl(xf(x)\bigr) = f(x) + x\frac d{dx}\bigl(f(x)\bigr).$$ If $D$ denotes differentiation, $L$ is the operation of multiplication by $x$, and $I$ is the identity operator, then that equation can be written as $$DL\bigl(f(x)\bigr) = I\bigl(f(x)\bigr) + LD\bigl(f(x)\bigr).$$ When you hide the $\bigl(f(x)\bigr)$s and write this as an operator equation, it says $DL = I + LD$, in other words $[D,L] = DL - LD = I.$

Thanks Opalg ...

Got the idea now ...

Thanks again,

Peter

What is a First Weyl Algebra?

A First Weyl Algebra is a type of noncommutative algebra that is generated by a single element, usually denoted by A, and its derivative, usually denoted by D. It is a central object in the study of differential operators and has important applications in algebraic geometry and representation theory.

What is the relation between First Weyl Algebras and Quantum Mechanics?

First Weyl Algebras play a fundamental role in quantum mechanics as they are used to describe the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. In particular, the operators A and D are related to position and momentum operators, respectively.

How are First Weyl Algebras defined?

A First Weyl Algebra is defined as the algebra generated by A and D subject to the relations [A, D] = 1 and all other commutators of A and D with each other equal to 0. In other words, A and D are noncommutative variables that satisfy the commutation relation [A, D] = 1.

What are some properties of First Weyl Algebras?

First Weyl Algebras have a number of important properties. They are simple, noncommutative rings, meaning they have no nontrivial two-sided ideals. They are also Noetherian, meaning all their ideals are finitely generated. Additionally, they are isomorphic to polynomial rings in infinitely many variables and have a unique irreducible representation in any dimension.

What are the applications of First Weyl Algebras?

First Weyl Algebras have a wide range of applications in mathematics and physics. They are used in the study of differential operators, algebraic geometry, and representation theory. They also have important applications in quantum mechanics, specifically in the description of the Heisenberg uncertainty principle and the quantum harmonic oscillator.