First-Year Average: Questions for UBC Electrical Engineering Major

In summary, the person is a first-year engineering student at UBC who is struggling with their grades in psychology and English. They are considering majoring in electrical engineering but are unsure about the average needed to get in and what other options might suit them. They also have questions about retaking psychology and the impact of their grades on their overall academic performance. They are advised to speak with their undergraduate advisor and focus on learning the material instead of worrying about grades.
yvonnars
Hi guys
So I've just started my first year at UBC studying engineering. I plan to major in electrical in second year but I have messed up my average quite a bit so far.

I have miserably failed my elective (psychology 35% ... it's really not my thing, I regret so much for not dropping it). I am not doing so well in my English class either, I don't know my marks yet.

I have few question:

1. what is the average i need to get into electrical engineering at UBC?
2. And what other options might suit me? (i like physics math and programming courses and I do well in those)
3. Also since I failed psychology already and if i retake this course before i graduate, will my GPA be based on both the failed and the second mark or just the second mark?
4. if they use the second mark, and i have failed this course once already, is it worth the risk to retake it (cause i might fail it again that will be a total disaster)
5. My chem TA said he didn't do so well in first year but it didn't matter much at the end. How much will my marks affect me overall? let's say i fail one course and have a 60ish% average in first term (6 courses).

Thank you so much in advance!

Yvonne

Physics news on Phys.org
These are questions better directed to your undergraduate advisor. If I were you I'd set up an appointment or browse the walk-in advising hours. It's only your first year and failing psychology is really not the end of the world for an engineering major. You will have future classes that will help your gpa (assuming you don't fail hard at them). I advise you to retake it just to prove that you can do it if you apply yourself.

Be warned! Learn the material and apply it well, worry about the grades later.

The above advice is awesome. I just want to add that they may care a tiny bit less about your elective than they will about your core courses, but that's not guaranteed. Find out for sure.

1. What is a "First-Year Average" for a UBC Electrical Engineering Major?

A "First-Year Average" is the average of all the grades a student receives in their first year of studying Electrical Engineering at the University of British Columbia (UBC). It is calculated by adding up all the grades and dividing by the number of courses taken.

2. Why is the First-Year Average important for UBC Electrical Engineering Majors?

The First-Year Average is important because it is used to determine a student's eligibility for scholarships and awards, as well as their ability to continue in the program. It also serves as a benchmark for academic progress and can impact future job opportunities and graduate school applications.

3. What is considered a good First-Year Average for a UBC Electrical Engineering Major?

A good First-Year Average for a UBC Electrical Engineering Major is typically around 80% or higher. This demonstrates a strong understanding of the material and a high level of academic success. However, it is important to note that the average can vary each year and it is ultimately up to the individual student's performance.

4. Are there any resources available to help improve a First-Year Average for a UBC Electrical Engineering Major?

Yes, there are many resources available to help improve a First-Year Average. UBC offers academic support services such as tutoring, study groups, and workshops. Additionally, professors and teaching assistants are available for office hours and can provide guidance and clarification on course material.

5. Can a low First-Year Average affect a UBC Electrical Engineering Major's future studies or career prospects?

While a low First-Year Average may not necessarily prevent a student from continuing in the program, it can make it more difficult to secure scholarships and awards. It can also impact a student's ability to pursue certain specializations within Electrical Engineering. However, it is important to remember that the First-Year Average is just one aspect of a student's academic journey and can be improved upon in future years.