How Does Gravity Affect a Dropped Fish's Motion?

• Thread starter arizona_cards_11
  • Start date
In summary, a small fish is dropped by a pelican rising at a velocity of 0.50 m/s. After 2.5 s, the fish would have a velocity of -24 m/s and would be 31m below the pelican. The formula used to calculate the velocity of the fish is Vf = Vi + (A)(T). To calculate the distance below the pelican, the formula delt X = (Vi)(t) + (1/2)(A)(T)^2 can be used.
arizona_cards_11
Question:

54) A small fish is dropped by a pelican that is rising steadily at 0.50 m/s.

a) After 2.5 s, what is the velocity of the fish? Ans: -24 m/s

b) How far below the pelican is the fish after 2.5 s? Ans: 31m

My Work/Question:

The fish would be moving at the same velocity as the pelican, which equals the (Vi). The Accel would equal -9.81 m/s^2 due to gravity.

I used Vf = (Vi) + (A)(T) to find the velocity of the fish.

My question on B: Would I use the... delt X = (Vi)(t) + (1/2)(A)(T)^2...formula for B?

Physics news on Phys.org
DO NOT REPLY...I've already figured it out

Yes, you would use the displacement formula, Δx = (Vi)(t) + (1/2)(a)(t)^2, to find the distance the fish has fallen after 2.5 seconds. This formula takes into account the initial velocity, the acceleration due to gravity, and the time elapsed. Plugging in the given values, we get Δx = (0.50 m/s)(2.5 s) + (1/2)(-9.81 m/s^2)(2.5 s)^2 = 31.06 m. Therefore, after 2.5 seconds, the fish would be 31.06 meters below the pelican.

What is the "Fish and Pelican Problem"?

The "Fish and Pelican Problem" is a classic mathematical problem that involves a hypothetical scenario where a group of pelicans and a group of fish are trapped on a desert island with limited resources.

What is the objective of the "Fish and Pelican Problem"?

The objective of the "Fish and Pelican Problem" is to determine the minimum number of pelicans needed to eat all the fish on the island without any fish remaining after the pelicans have finished eating.

How is the "Fish and Pelican Problem" solved?

The "Fish and Pelican Problem" is solved using a mathematical equation known as the "divisibility rule for 3" or "divisibility by 3". This rule states that if the sum of the digits in a number is divisible by 3, then the original number is also divisible by 3. By applying this rule, the minimum number of pelicans needed to eat all the fish can be determined.

What factors are considered in the "Fish and Pelican Problem"?

The "Fish and Pelican Problem" takes into account the initial number of fish and pelicans on the island, the rate at which pelicans eat fish, and the maximum number of fish that each pelican can eat. It also assumes that the pelicans and fish are not able to reproduce or die during the problem.

What is the real-world application of the "Fish and Pelican Problem"?

The "Fish and Pelican Problem" has practical applications in fields such as biology, ecology, and resource management. It can be used to model and understand population dynamics and resource depletion in real-life scenarios. It can also be used to optimize resource allocation and prevent overexploitation of natural resources.