Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fitting a (Very) Large Random Number To A Formula

1. Jul 16, 2015 #1
    It has been a very long time since I have done any calc or hard math, I hope this question is in the right place.

I have a HUGE number, that is random and big. What do I need to study/look at to create a formula that will generate just it?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2015 #2
    I didnt understand your question.Lets suppose we have a number 4736282828262937372836388363728190.
    What do you want ?
    Make equations and find this number ?

4. Jul 17, 2015 #3
    what kind of data? probably there is no a general way to discover how it was created! in my opinion it is impossible since exist ordered sets of numbers that can be generated with different algorithms. But maybe a program like Matlab or Wolfram Mathematica can find something called a fit if the data is in a certain form.

5. Jul 17, 2015 #4
  6. Jul 17, 2015 #5
    Thanks GiuseppeR7.

That is what I was looking for to start. I do not want to approximate though, I have fit curves before, but I need and equation that would give the EXACT answer.

To answer some of the others questions, I do not care how it was created and no patterns exist in the number.

I am also talking about numbers that could be infinite or part of an infinite sequence.

Honestly, I have this massive number, and I want to search inside an infinite generated number (set?) and find that number inside of it. Now I know that there is nothing to guarantee that my set even exists in this infinite number. If I remember correctly, is it not incredibly difficult to find future values of equations that generate infinite numbers...I thought though some examples exist.

7. Jul 19, 2015 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

If you have an infinite set of numbers, what makes you think you will find the number you're looking for in a finite amount of time?
    This doesn't make sense. "Infinite number" - are you talking about a set with an infinite number of elements (numbers) in it?
    Your terminology is off here. There are sequences (a sequence is a type of function) that are defined recursively, but they don't generate "infinite numbers."

As an example:
    a0 = 1
    an = an - 1 + 1, for n ≥ 1

This sequence is {1, 2, 3, 4, ...}. IOW, all of the positive integers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook