Fixed charge inside a metallic sphere

In summary, when considering two identical positive, fixed in position, charged particles, the force acting on the particle inside a metallic sphere with air inside it will depend on whether the spherical shell is charged or uncharged. If it is uncharged, the electric field of the point charge will not be affected, but if it is charged, the resultant electric field can be found by adding the electric field of the spherical shell and the point charge(s).
student85
There is a question someone asked me and I'm not sure about the answer:
Suppose you have two identical positive, fixed in position, charged particles. One of them is inside a metallic sphere with air inside it, so it's more like an empty shell. What will be the force acting on the particle inside the sphere in comparison to the one outside it? Are there any differences? Does the sphere affect anything?

Physics news on Phys.org
Gauss' law tells us that the electric field inside a sphere is zero. The electric field outside sphere is the same as the field of the [net] charge of Q.

Do you know why the force is zero inside a sphere? Mayb of you work out an example yourself, it may become clear. Just choose any point in the sphere and call it Q, if you apply some geometry to the situation, I'm sure you can figure out why forces cancel out.

Even if there is a charge inside the sphere, you're telling me there is no charge inside the sphere?
I really don't think that. Take your gaussian surface as a sphere smaller than the actual metallic sphere and clearly there is a charge inside it.
So could someone please answer my question, please read it carefully.

ranger said:
Gauss' law tells us that the electric field inside a sphere is zero.
This is true for a charged conducting spherical shell, but is not true for a point charge placed inside a spherical shell.
student85 said:
There is a question someone asked me and I'm not sure about the answer:
Suppose you have two identical positive, fixed in position, charged particles. One of them is inside a metallic sphere with air inside it, so it's more like an empty shell. What will be the force acting on the particle inside the sphere in comparison to the one outside it? Are there any differences? Does the sphere affect anything?
That depends. If your spherical shell in uncharged then the electric field of the point charge will not be perturbed; i.e. the electric field of either point charge will be unaffected. However, if your spherical shell is charged, then you can find the resultant electric field by finding the vector sum of the electric field from the spherical shell and the point charge(s).

1. What is a fixed charge inside a metallic sphere?

A fixed charge inside a metallic sphere refers to a static charge that is present within the sphere and does not move or change. This charge can be either positive or negative, and is typically caused by the accumulation of electrons or protons within the sphere.

2. How does a fixed charge inside a metallic sphere affect the sphere itself?

A fixed charge inside a metallic sphere creates an electric field within the sphere that can affect the behavior of any other charges within or outside the sphere. This electric field can also cause the sphere to attract or repel other charged objects.

3. Can a fixed charge inside a metallic sphere be changed or removed?

Yes, a fixed charge inside a metallic sphere can be changed or removed by introducing an opposite charge to neutralize it. This can be done through the process of grounding, where the sphere is connected to a larger object with the opposite charge, causing the charges to cancel out.

4. How does the size of a metallic sphere affect the behavior of a fixed charge inside it?

The size of a metallic sphere does not directly affect the behavior of a fixed charge inside it. However, the larger the sphere, the more surface area is available for the charge to interact with other objects, potentially increasing its influence.

5. What are some real-world applications of a fixed charge inside a metallic sphere?

A fixed charge inside a metallic sphere is used in various scientific and industrial applications. For example, it is used in electrostatic precipitators to remove particles from industrial exhaust, and in lightning rods to protect buildings from lightning strikes. It is also used in capacitors, which are essential components in many electronic devices.