KE and speed of a sphere near a fixed charge

In summary: I got the right answer for that too.In summary, a tiny sphere of mass 8.60 µg and charge −2.80 nC is initially at a distance of 1.44 µm from a fixed charge of +8.53 nC. When the sphere is released from rest and reaches a distance of 0.500 µm from the fixed charge, its kinetic energy is 0.23 J and its speed is 4269 m/s, calculated using relevant equations for potential energy and kinetic energy. Upon further calculations, the correct answers were found to be 0.28 J for kinetic energy and 8070 m/s for speed.
jbarnhart5

Homework Statement

A tiny sphere of mass 8.60 µg and charge −2.80 nC is initially at a distance of 1.44 µm from a fixed charge of +8.53 nC.

(a) If the 8.60-µg sphere is released from rest, find its kinetic energy when it is 0.500 µm from the fixed charge.

(b) If the 8.60-µg sphere is released from rest, find its speed when it is 0.500 µm from the fixed charge.

Homework Equations

At least what I believe are relevant equations: PE1 + KE1 = PE2 + KE2
PE = k(q1q2/r)
KE = mv2/2

The Attempt at a Solution

The sphere is released at rest, so KE1 = 0 --> KE2 = PE2 - PE1 = ΔPE

ΔPE = ke(q1q2/r0-r1) = 8.99e-09(2.80e-09C*8.53e-09C)/(1.44e-06m - 5.0e-07m) = 0.23 J

This answer continues to come back wrong. I am supposed to be getting 0.28 J, but I'm not sure why.

The second part should be easy if I get the PE correct.

KE = PE = v(sqrt(m/2)) --> 0.28J/(sqrt(8.6e-09kg/2)) = 4269 m/s

...but that is wrong too. It should be 8070 m/s.

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you get the formula for the PE change, and how did you get the formula for speed from KE?

voko said:
How did you get the formula for the PE change, and how did you get the formula for speed from KE?

I thought that's what they were. I don't have the book so I'm trying to work from memory. Apparently its not right?

None of them. The stuff you have in relevant equations, however, is good. You should be able to use that. Especially the PE change should be very straightforward.

OK, so I think I have this figured out. Using the formula for PE, I calculated with d=1.44e-6 m for PE1 and 5.0e-7 for PE2. Then take PE2 - PE1 and I got the right answer. Finally...thanks for the nudge in the right direction.
Then for speed it was v = sqrt(2KE/M)

Last edited:

1. What is the relationship between kinetic energy and speed of a sphere near a fixed charge?

The kinetic energy (KE) of a sphere near a fixed charge is directly proportional to its speed. This means that as the speed of the sphere increases, its KE also increases.

2. How does the charge of the sphere affect its speed near a fixed charge?

The speed of a sphere near a fixed charge is inversely proportional to the magnitude of the charge. This means that as the charge of the sphere increases, its speed decreases.

3. Does the mass of the sphere have any effect on its KE near a fixed charge?

Yes, the mass of the sphere does affect its KE near a fixed charge. The KE of an object is directly proportional to its mass, so a heavier sphere will have a higher KE compared to a lighter one moving at the same speed near a fixed charge.

4. What happens to the KE and speed of a sphere as it moves away from a fixed charge?

As the sphere moves away from the fixed charge, its KE and speed decrease. This is because the electrostatic force between the sphere and the fixed charge decreases as the distance between them increases.

5. Can the KE of a sphere near a fixed charge be negative?

No, the KE of a sphere near a fixed charge cannot be negative. KE is a measure of the energy an object possesses due to its motion, and it is always a positive value. However, if the sphere is moving towards the fixed charge, it will experience a deceleration and its KE will decrease, but it will still be a positive value.