1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Fixed end moments is it WL^2/12 or WL/12 ?

1. Jun 29, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hello Every one, well i have a question regarding the Fixed End moments, if we had a Horozontally Fixed End supported Beam, with equally distributed load (W) on the beam, and we require the moment at the fixed Ends, which Equation would i use:

2. Relevant equations
    1: WL2/12
    2:WL/12

3. The attempt at a solution
    my search did not give me a clear difference betwen the two, for Equation "1" this google book search :http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...0CB4Q6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=wL/12 moment&f=false" , its a book called "Structure and architecture"
    By Angus J. MacDonald page 143, and for equation "2" pretty much every thing i learned, well at least i think i did:confused:, can someone please calrify the difference,
    thank you
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2010 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If W is the TOTAL weight of the distributed load in force units, then M= WL/12. If w is the uniformly distributed load in units of force per unit length, then M =wL^2/12. Note that W =wL. Confirm that the units of moment must be in force time length units (newton-meters or foot-pounds).

4. Jul 2, 2010 #3
    OK thanks alot PhanthomJay, now i see how it works

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook