Fixed-Fixed Beam with two UDL

If you have any questions about the solution.In summary, the person is looking for the maximum bending moment and maximum deflection of a beam. They tried using the double integration method but it did not seem accurate. They then used ANSYS to evaluate the solution but it did not match with their calculations. They are asking for a detailed solution using the singularity function method.
reiiling
I'm looking for the max bending moment and max deflection of the beam shown in the problem statement. I tried using the double integration method to find the deflection, but it does not look right. I did the model in ANSYS to evaluate the solution, and the result does not match with my calculations.
If anyone could provide with a exact sample question with a detailed solution that would be great. Thanks a lot.
Sorry just could not get my head around for this question.

Homework Statement

jzecea.jpg

2. The attempt at a solution
32zrj84.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
I would recommend using the singularity function method for something like this, otherwise it's quite arduous (as I'm sure you've noticed).

1. What is a fixed-fixed beam?

A fixed-fixed beam is a type of structural element that is supported at both ends and is able to resist moments, shearing forces, and bending stresses. It is commonly used in engineering and construction applications.

2. How does a fixed-fixed beam behave under uniform distributed loads (UDL)?

A fixed-fixed beam with UDL experiences bending stresses and deflections along its length. The maximum bending moment and deflection occur at the center of the beam, and the values decrease towards the fixed supports at each end.

3. What are the equations used to calculate the bending moment and deflection of a fixed-fixed beam with two UDLs?

The equations used are M = WL^2/8 and delta = 5WL^4/384EI, where M is the maximum bending moment, W is the UDL, L is the length of the beam, delta is the maximum deflection, E is the Young's modulus of the material, and I is the moment of inertia of the beam cross-section.

4. How does the placement of the UDLs affect the bending moment and deflection of a fixed-fixed beam?

The placement of the UDLs can greatly affect the bending moment and deflection of a fixed-fixed beam. Placing the UDLs closer to the center of the beam will result in a higher maximum bending moment and deflection, while placing them closer to the supports will result in lower values.

5. What are the key advantages of using a fixed-fixed beam with two UDLs?

The key advantages of using a fixed-fixed beam with two UDLs include its ability to distribute loads evenly along its length, its high resistance to bending stresses, and its ability to span longer distances with minimal support. It is also a cost-effective and efficient structural element for many applications.