1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fixed Points of analytic functions

1. Apr 29, 2012 #1
    Hi, I am in honors track Complex Analysis, and I think I've reached my limit. We got this proof, and I don't know where to start.

"We saw in class that a mobius transformation can have at most one fixed point (or else is the identity map), extend this idea to all analytic functions mapping from a domain[itex]\subset[/itex]ℂ to itself."

I have no idea what to do. I totally understand the mobius version of this, but it is way easier. I saw a similar problem online for the unit disk, but then you have Schwart's Lemma. I also had a couple other thoughts that led nowhere. |f(z)-z| attains a minimum at any fixed point. Rouche's theorem would be nice if we could say something about curves, but I don't know how to extend that to an arbitrary domain.

Any push in the right direction would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2012 #2
    Two things:
    1. Sorry, I was stupidly thinking while I was writing and got my stuff wrong. A mobius transformation has two fixed points (I "understand" in the sense that I can see that they can be solved for algebraically). I accidentally said "at most one" because I was thinking that that is the appropriate extension of the problem (analytic has at most one fixed point). I feel like Rouche implies that it is at most one fixed point for f(z)-z in this scenario, but cant figure out how to make it work.

2. I also had a problem with this statement at first and generated a similar polynomial counter-example, but I **think** the critical thing is that the domain is not allowed to be ℂ (strict subset is used), and I can't construct a counterexample with that restriction. So for example, if I had my domain being ℂ-{0}, your mobius transformation is certainly still well defined, but it maps -2 to 0 which would be out of the range. I could remove -2 from the domain, but then it comes out of the range again, so I still have a problem. So I can't construct a counterexample to the problem.

4. Apr 29, 2012 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you are right. It has to map a proper domain of C to the same proper domain. That's the part I wasn't really thinking about, so I deleted my post. I was just fixating on the fact a mobius transformation generally has two fixed points.

5. Apr 29, 2012 #4
    Dah! Checking over what I wrote, found I left off "simply connected" which is of course critical.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook