Fixed power supplies with -9V, +9V, and -5V outputs

  • Thread starter Thread starter atlbraves49
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Power
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
33 replies · 7K views
maybe they've just derated a device to get better performance. how the strain gauge engineers would be privy to that is another matter. I'm also wondering how using this device at low frequencies instead of near 1MHz would affect things. in digital circuits, you certainly have a problem with increased power and heat at higher freq.
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
mheslep said:
For the version we've found online apparently, but perhaps there's an upgraded part suggested by this sensor mfn? Certainly +/-9 is not extreme for CMOS op amps in general.

The 5V supply is rather strange, isn't it? I suppose MicroChip, the manufacturer is all about supporting their line of microcontrollers in simple solution applications, where a single +5V supply is all you should.
 
Phrak said:
The 5V supply is rather strange, isn't it? I suppose MicroChip, the manufacturer is all about supporting their line of microcontrollers in simple solution applications, where a single +5V supply is all you should.

Why is the 5V strange? I'm guessing you'd just want a stable voltage there, to minimize output drift. 5V regulators are easy to come by.

But I'm thinking pretty much any stable voltage source work there. If the supplies are taken down to 5 volts as was suggested earlier, then one of them could power a 1.25V reference, perhaps an LM337.
 
Redbelly98 said:
Why is the 5V strange? I'm guessing you'd just want a stable voltage there, to minimize output drift. 5V regulators are easy to come by.

So I went to Texas Instruments web pages and did a parametric search on Standard Linear Amplifiers. The 36 out of 221 listed had a V_s_max of 5.5 volts or less. Not a lot, but more prevalent than I had thought.

The Microchip web pages were revealing. Revealing what, I'm not sure :smile:. 69 out of 72 of their operational amplifiers listed a V_s_max of 6 volts or less.

V_s_max, by the way, is the maximum Vdd to Vss operating voltage.

The flex-thing schematic is wrong. I'm repeating myself. The 18 volts is far above the chip spec. of 5.5V. 18 volts will likely smoke it.


The MC6001 is to be used with a single +5V to ground supply. 4.5 Volts of batteries is OK.

http://www.microchip.com/wwwproducts/Devices.aspx?dDocName=en010433"
 
Last edited by a moderator: