Flory Huggins theory for linear polymer chains

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a source on Flory-Huggins theory for linear polymer chains, with the article "Competition between self-assembly and surface adsorption" by Jacek Dudowicz being a potential source. The equations referenced in the article are derived from the Flory-Huggins theory, and a recommended resource for understanding the theory is the book "Polymer Physics" by M. Rubinstein and R. H. Colby.
Pwantar
Hello everyone. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a source for Flory-Huggins theory on linear polymer chains. You see, I've been conducting an undergraduate research project concerning the topic. Every paper I look at, they simply quote an equation, and says that it follows from FH theory for linear polymer chains. The book by Flory wasn't much assistance, and neither was my googling.

The article in particular is:
Competition between self-assembly and surface adsorption, by Jacek Dudowicz. Published in the Journal of Chemical Physics 130, 084903 (2009).

The equations in particular are 17-21.

I apologize for not writing the equations down, but they are cumbersome and I don't have the time now. For those that don't have access to J. Chem. Phys., I will copy the equations down later.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi there! I had a look at the article you mentioned and it seems that the equations are derived from the Flory-Huggins theory. In particular, they are derived from the equation of state for polymer solutions which is derived from the Flory-Huggins theory. You can find a good explanation of the theory in the book "Polymer Physics" by M. Rubinstein and R. H. Colby. It should provide you with enough information to understand the equations. Good luck with your research!

Hello, thank you for your question. Flory-Huggins theory is a well-established theory in polymer science that describes the thermodynamics of polymer solutions and blends. It was first developed by Paul Flory and Maurice Huggins in the 1940s and has been widely used and cited in research ever since.

I understand your frustration with finding a clear explanation or derivation of the theory. While Flory's original book may not provide the most accessible explanation, there are many other resources available that may be helpful to you.

Some suggestions for further reading on Flory-Huggins theory for linear polymer chains include:

1. "Polymer Physics" by Michael Rubinstein and Ralph H. Colby. This textbook provides a comprehensive overview of polymer physics, including a chapter dedicated to Flory-Huggins theory.

2. "Introduction to Polymer Physics" by M. Doi and S. F. Edwards. This book also covers Flory-Huggins theory in detail, with a focus on its application to polymer blends.

3. "Polymer Science: A Comprehensive Reference" edited by Krzysztof Matyjaszewski and Martin Möller. This reference book includes a chapter on Flory-Huggins theory written by Jacek Dudowicz, the author of the article you mentioned.

In addition, there are many research papers and review articles that discuss Flory-Huggins theory and its applications in various systems. I would recommend looking for reviews or papers specifically on the topic you are studying (e.g. self-assembly and surface adsorption) for a more focused and in-depth explanation.

I hope this helps and good luck with your research project!

1. What is the Flory Huggins theory for linear polymer chains?

The Flory Huggins theory is a mathematical model used to describe the thermodynamic behavior of polymer solutions. It predicts the solubility of polymer chains in a solvent by taking into account the interactions between the polymer chains and the solvent molecules.

2. How does the Flory Huggins theory explain polymer chain solubility?

The theory states that the solubility of a polymer chain in a solvent is determined by the balance of two factors: the entropic cost of mixing the polymer and solvent molecules, and the enthalpic interactions between them. A polymer chain will be more soluble in a solvent if the enthalpic interactions are favorable and the entropic cost is low.

3. What are the assumptions of the Flory Huggins theory?

The theory assumes that the polymer chains are ideal and do not interact with each other, and that the solvent molecules are also ideal and do not interact with each other. It also assumes that the solvent is a good solvent for the polymer, meaning that the solvent-solvent interactions are weaker than the solvent-polymer interactions.

4. How is the Flory Huggins theory used in polymer research?

The Flory Huggins theory is used to predict the behavior of polymer solutions, such as their solubility and phase separation. It is also used to understand the effect of different factors, such as temperature and polymer concentration, on the thermodynamics of polymer solutions.

5. Are there any limitations to the Flory Huggins theory?

Yes, the Flory Huggins theory has some limitations. It does not take into account the effects of chain stiffness, chain length distribution, and chain branching, which can all affect the behavior of polymer solutions. Additionally, it assumes that the polymer chains are in a random coil conformation, which may not always be the case.