1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Flow between parallel plates or not.

1. Mar 16, 2009 #1
    Hi,

I'm doing 2D modeling with COMSOL and my design is about a flow (in the x direction) inside a structure passing square objects, so I thought I could model it on the mechanics of flow between parallel plates.

Unfortunately, the square objects are of the same height as the structure and does not extend for a very long distance in the z direction (height in z direction:width in y direction= 1:100), which is one of the assumptions for that model to work.

Also, the volume of the structure is quite small (10mm x 10mm x 0.1mm) and the inlet resides on the same side as the outlet.

When I tried to force the inlet with fluid velocity based on the flow between parallel plates model, the fluid behaves strangely (like flowing against gravity and stuff ^^;).

Can anyone tell me of any other model that I can base my flow on?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2009 #2
    I don't really understand your geometry. If it is a square or rectangular duct, you just have to solve navier-stocks equations in such geometry. Then depending on the flow regime i.e the Reynolds number value, you will be in laminar, transition or turbulent. In the case of turbulent flow, many authors showed that in complex geometries, you have recirculation zones.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook