1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Navier-Stokes equations for unique flow through a rectangular diverging pipe

1. Mar 6, 2012 #1
    I am currently trying to provide a mathematical model that describes the flow through a diverging square pipe. I am trying to simplyfy the navier stokes equations by usings assumptions but am unsure if my current progress is correct.
    The problem is as follows:
    Fluid enters a section of a square cross sectioned pipe which undergoes an area expansion of 1:4. The flow is uniform and laminar at the inlet and fully developed before entering the expansion and at the outlet. Provide a mathimatical model which describes the unique flow through the pipe.
    By assuming steady state, incompressible, uniform flow with no body force in the direction of motion I can simplyfy considerably however I do not know how to take into account flow seperation at the divergance nor how to justify properly my assumptions :S
    anyone help pleaseee

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2012 #2
    hi, classmate

lol

4. Mar 13, 2012 #3
    Anyone has some suggestion ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook