Flow rate loss due to pressure loss

In summary, there is uncertainty about the situation and a lack of information to properly understand and solve the problem. The diameter and length of the pipe are known, but more context is needed to determine the cause of the pressure loss. It could be a faulty valve, pump, or issues with the suction side. Further explanation and diagrams would help clarify the situation.
crawdad328
If I'm losing 30 psi every 20 seconds at a pump, how many gallons am I losing in that time frame? I don't really have a lot of information to go on, which is frustrating. I know the diameter of the pipe is 8" and there's a total length of 500 feet of the pipe. With this info I'm having trouble finding a good starting point on figuring this out. I do t know if it's being losses over a distance or just at a point. Can someone point me in the right direction? Feels like I'm missing something obvious.

Engineering news on Phys.org
crawdad328 said:
I don't really have a lot of information to go on, which is frustrating.

Yep, as it is it's unclear what is even going on; you need to explain the situation properly. Diagrams help.

You are going to have to explain more about what the application is and what your end goal is? Pressure loss over time means you are losing stored energy somewhere, what is the pipe transferring water from/to?

Yea, rarely in a pump system do you have to deal with delta-psi / min, or any variation thereof. Certainly systems change in their overall pressure (and therefore flow rates, or vice versa) but a progressive drop in pressure, where there wasn't one before, indicates that something is amiss with your system. What that could be is anyone's guess at this point. Could be a faulty valve (perhaps with a mis-programmed or buggy control loop?) somewhere, could be a slipping coupling in the pump, could be issues with pump seals and internals, could be an issue with the suction side (if it's a tank it could be that the air spaces are not replenishing quick enough and you are drawing a vacuum, which is dropping your NPSHa. Lots of stuff.

What is flow rate loss due to pressure loss?

Flow rate loss due to pressure loss refers to the decrease in the rate at which a fluid flows through a system as a result of a decrease in pressure within that system.

What causes flow rate loss due to pressure loss?

Flow rate loss due to pressure loss can be caused by various factors, such as friction between the fluid and the walls of the system, changes in elevation, and restrictions or obstructions in the flow path.

How does flow rate loss due to pressure loss affect the efficiency of a system?

As flow rate decreases due to pressure loss, the efficiency of a system may also decrease. This is because less fluid is able to flow through the system, resulting in slower or less effective performance.

How is flow rate loss due to pressure loss calculated?

Flow rate loss due to pressure loss can be calculated using the Bernoulli's equation, which takes into account the pressure, velocity, and elevation of the fluid at different points in the system. Other equations, such as the Darcy-Weisbach equation, can also be used depending on the specifics of the system.

How can flow rate loss due to pressure loss be minimized?

To minimize flow rate loss due to pressure loss, engineers may use various techniques such as increasing the diameter of the flow path, smoothing out rough surfaces, or reducing restrictions in the system. Proper maintenance and regular cleaning can also help prevent pressure loss and maintain efficient flow rates.