Flowfield visualization of a gun shooting underwater high speed video

In summary, the conversation was about an experiment that was conducted to see what a gun would look like while shooting under water. The person who conducted the experiment discovered that the muzzle blast was not spherical as they had initially thought. They also discussed embedding videos and the use of physics in a humorous way.
MrPennywhistl
I ran this experiment to find out what a gun would look like while shooting under water. Turns out to be quite interesting. The muzzle blast is NOT spherical as I first assumed.

Regards,

Mrpennywhistle

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
That's really cool! Are you the guy in the video?

Yep, that's me.

Kk. I'd link a video of my own, but I don't think the physics of my cat being spun around on a hardwood floor is that interesting.

MrPennywhistl said:
I ran this experiment to find out what a gun would look like while shooting under water. Turns out to be quite interesting. The muzzle blast is NOT spherical as I first assumed.

Regards,

Mrpennywhistle

Cool. Thanks for posting. By the way you can embeed videos directly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eUlpPY96Ok

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, the magic of embedding. I'm an idiot.

1. How does the flowfield visualization help in understanding underwater gun shooting?

The flowfield visualization technique allows scientists to see the motion and behavior of the fluid (water) around the gun as it shoots underwater. This helps in understanding the impact of the gun on the surrounding water, such as turbulence, shockwaves, and cavitation.

2. What is the importance of using high speed video in this type of visualization?

High speed video is crucial in capturing the fast-moving and complex flow patterns of underwater gun shooting. It allows scientists to analyze the motion and behavior of the fluid in detail, which would not be possible with regular speed video.

3. How is the flowfield visualized in these videos?

The flowfield is visualized by injecting tiny particles (such as dye or bubbles) into the water around the gun. These particles move with the flow of the water and are captured by the high speed camera, creating a visual representation of the flowfield.

4. What can we learn from flowfield visualization of underwater gun shooting?

By analyzing the flowfield visualization, scientists can understand the hydrodynamics of underwater gun shooting, including the impact of the gun on the water, the formation of shockwaves and cavitation, and the behavior of the fluid in different conditions.

5. Can the results of flowfield visualization be used for practical applications?

Yes, the results of flowfield visualization can provide valuable insights for improving the design and performance of underwater guns. This technique can also be applied to other fields, such as marine engineering and fluid dynamics, to study the behavior of fluids in various scenarios.